We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Forza Horizon 3 {DT} - Coming from a land down under and onto Windows 10 (KEEP LEFT!)

CLR-GTR

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's a traffic car though tbf :lol:

--- Post Updated ---

You two are so anal about this stuff especially you tom it's actually frustrating, these little things that are 'grinding your gears' are so silly, enjoy the game it is amazing and is probably one of the best racing games to date.

Yeah how dare he criticize the game for it's obvious failures! :oook:

I've heard a lot of issues about the game for PC players for sure, can confirm on Xbox things are 99% working, few glitches that need to be patched out but nothing game breaking. Game is very good, everything so far is very fun - some of the car models clearly need some work but I'm not pedantic enough to worry about things like that when there's a massive open world with 425 cars at launch, by the time all the DLC is done there will be over 500 which is astounding.

Finally got a chance to start up the game and play the first bit, can confirm it runs at 50fps with everything on ultra @ 3840 X 2160. Not true 4K but it's DSRs highest setting. I've turned down the MSAA to 2x and got 60 fps again without compromising the visuals too much. Photos + review with wheel to come tonight

I could finally get some proper "seat" time with the game. I found some small things done wrong like for example the on/off swtich for FPS counter and vsync. Speaking of it, I found it gets you in trouble, although I could run the game at 80/100 FPS (On ultra and 1080p) it made my game freeze at exactly the same point of a race in the outback, a race I had no trouble doing a couple of minutes ago (I had to restart it because I crashed, but after starting again I fiddled a bit with the settings), so I went ahead and unchecked the vsync and I could race with no problems, doing that locks the FPS to 60... Which I find weird because isn't vsync that caps your FPS at 60 (or less)?.

In these 3 hours (approx) I had with the game I got "just" 2 freezes, considering people are getting quite more (I've read 11 in 2 hrs) I consider it runs okay, however this shouldn't be happening, specially when they knew the game was very hyped by PC users. I wonder if the FPS and vsync switched are the only thing that are inverted... By the way I play with a pad and it feels better than FM Apex, it's got more sensitivity, at least to me.

Of course, a screenshot, because TDF!

tdf_29msva.jpg

Btw, in Argentina we do have Utes... They are based on much more boring and way less powerful cars...

2014-volkswagen-saveiro-cross-is-a-funky-brazilian-pickup-video-photo-gallery_2.jpg

based on this...

VA_517f8d6ccb374304bcecc0bb4fce8265.jpg

I could finally get some proper "seat" time with the game. I found some small things done wrong like for example the on/off swtich for FPS counter and vsync. Speaking of it, I found it gets you in trouble, although I could run the game at 80/100 FPS (On ultra and 1080p) it made my game freeze at exactly the same point of a race in the outback, a race I had no trouble doing a couple of minutes ago (I had to restart it because I crashed, but after starting again I fiddled a bit with the settings), so I went ahead and unchecked the vsync and I could race with no problems, doing that locks the FPS to 60... Which I find weird because isn't vsync that caps your FPS at 60 (or less)?.

In these 3 hours (approx) I had with the game I got "just" 2 freezes, considering people are getting quite more (I've read 11 in 2 hrs) I consider it runs okay, however this shouldn't be happening, specially when they knew the game was very hyped by PC users. I wonder if the FPS and vsync switched are the only thing that are inverted... By the way I play with a pad and it feels better than FM Apex, it's got more sensitivity, at least to me.

Of course, a screenshot, because TDF!

https://abload.de/img/tdf_29msva.jpg

Btw, in Argentina we do have Utes... They are based on much more boring and way less powerful cars...

the vsync issue is common in most games, I always recommend using the vsync from nvidia control pannel (preferably fast sync) and turning off game's vsync.

I don't really understand what you mean by 'inverted', do you mean turning them off turns them on or turning on fps turns on the vsync?

the vsync issue is common in most games, I always recommend using the vsync from nvidia control pannel (preferably fast sync) and turning off game's vsync.

I don't really understand what you mean by 'inverted', do you mean turning them off turns them on or turning on fps turns on the vsync?

Exactly, when it says it's off, it's actually on, and vice-versa, same with motion blur. I'll give a shot to nVidia Vsync option

Exactly, when it says it's off, it's actually on, and vice-versa, same with motion blur. I'll give a shot to nVidia Vsync option

Hmm that's not the case with mine, seems ok here,

Aaanyway now that I've had a chance to play it with a wheel and after about an hour of tweaking and setting everything up I was able to do some races and cruise around a bit.

Let me start with the wheel support, well tbh there isn't a proper support for g27 yet, it doesn't recognize it as a g27 but a default wheel which isn't actually that bad. The ffb needs a little work but it's a lot better than the crew. Thankfully the clutch and the h-shifter works so that on its own is just incredible. Shifting those gears in the shelby gt while revving the engine (which actually vibrates the wheel) is fantastic.

The physics are ok, nothing amazing but it is enjoyable much closer to fm6 than fh2 was I'd say though,

Sounds are incredible as always, can't complain

Visuals are great as usual however I did notice a lighting/shading problem, everywhere is a bit too dark which I think is tied to the dynamic weather system so not really sure what's going on there. Another issue is the photomode. For some reason it's incredibly blurry I believe it decreases the resolution automatically. People have suggested the drone mode which apparently works better so I'll try to get that tonight and hopefully post some pics.

There are some bugs here and there and I'm pretty sure online connections are incredibly buggy which is expected during the first weeks. But with a few patches this game is 10/10.

I'm going back in just hit me up on xbox messages

--- Post Updated ---

yep photomode is definitely broken, and since you cannot take nice shots with the drone I won't be posting any until this thing gets fixed. Aside from that, the game constantly stutters whenever there's a need for a connection with the server, might be my internet but at times it's unplayable especially in the upgrade shop.

I'd say this game needs at least another month to polish. Way too early to release it at this state.

Finally downloading :wait: :toetap:

Downloaded and... it crashed before the introduction scene was over. *tries again*

[edit 2:] Figured out the game chews up all of my VRAM and spits it out as soon as I start it. Feels like there is some optimization to be done here. Managed to get the game started at Low preset and it is currently using 2.7/3 GB. Doesn't bode well so far.

[edit 3:] It's really bad. 50-55fps at Low preset at 1080p. They better get optimizing quickly.

yep, found the source of the stuttering problem. It's our good ol friend DRM. The encryption system is abusing the CPU just like lalalala forge, they have the same CPU telemetry! And that is a known issue in the forge. So microsoft is currently making refunds if you like. They said they were aware of the issue. Here's a detailed thread if anyone is interested: FH3 stuttering cause found : forza

Lets be honest DRM is no good for anyone, people who pirate games are not gonna suddenly start paying for them instead this devalues the experience for people who paid for the game. It has been like this for years, I really hope microsoft will fix this thing.

Interesting read

Some have said disabling CPU Core 0 for the game (Task Manager, Processor Affinity) which spreads out the decryption load to other cores (not being hammered by other applications) reducing or removing the stutters. Others have not noticed any performance improvement but perhaps their GPU is also sub-optimal.

Yeah, I can tell, with so many performance problems, photomode isn't one of their main concerns. I still find hard to believe that the DRM is causing many of the performance problems, I know it has to decrypt files on the fly, stil how much processing power can it take? Can't the game decrypt all the files when it's first launched and then re-encrypt when the game closes? Just saying...

Yeah, I can tell, with so many performance problems, photomode isn't one of their main concerns. I still find hard to believe that the DRM is causing many of the performance problems, I know it has to decrypt files on the fly, stil how much processing power can it take? Can't the game decrypt all the files when it's first launched and then re-encrypt when the game closes? Just saying...

it's not so much the load but it tries to connect to the main server each time which causes spikes thus the stutters. These are identical issues to lalalala forge which is no coincidence since they both use the cancerous microsoft platform. There are obviously other DRM methods but as I've mentioned instead of investing millions of dollars in new DRM systems they could spend it on making the service/game better. Piracy is not a consumer problem, it is a service issue. Recent DRMs use the encryption system which decreases the performance in most games.

So the problem is not the decrypting, but validating then each time they are decrypted... Well maybe that makes more sense. Still wondering why developers use systems that have known issues like this, that break the entire experience for the user, specially since this is no cheap thing... I guess that's a way of cutting corners in this industry.

So the problem is not the decrypting, but validating then each time they are decrypted... Well maybe that makes more sense. Still wondering why developers use systems that have known issues like this, that break the entire experience for the user, specially since this is no cheap thing... I guess that's a way of cutting corners in this industry.

well it's more to do with policies. Microsoft probably has a fairly short leash on turn10 and other devs as well.

I have no idea why but the game ran much better today. :D Could crank up a lot of the settings and still get about the same framerate as yesterday. Still get some strange crashes and stuttering though so can't wait for the performance patches to come. No to wrap my head around the LHD traffic so I can stop crashing.