We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

TDU2 Prematurely 'announced' yet its been in the works for ages...

Who

Right, as diablo made a thread about (and under pressure from Atari, locked) TDU2 is officially in the works, but that's beside the point.

May i draw your attention to a post made by a member of old on Atari forums by the name of 'Vibroboy'

The thread, which can be found Here is regarding the location of Test Drive Unlimited 2. It is members trying to deduct the location of the next iteration of the series based on islands of similar size. When suddenly Vibroboy says:

FYI Oahu is roughly 1500 sq Km :)

Keep that thread alive !! I wanna see if someone guess right :)

(posted: 07-09-2006, 11:15)

His Post (#81) can be seen here

Note that he says: 'Guess right'. this means that by september '06 the location had been set for definite, and obviously that TDU2 was at the very least in the research stage..

NB: Vibroboy was a developer of the original TDU and was a somewhat active member of the Atari community before the game launched. He was a source of valuable inside information, and an extremely respected member of the community. if memory seves he was lead design and if very foggy memory serves correctly he was responsible for road layout

Unfortunately (as with many users) his profile has been deleted, and his post shows as a 'guest' post, and hence i cant link you to a list of his posts.

Incorrect, it was only at the planning stages at that time and yes a locale may have been decided upon but it's also possible that he was stating it as; "well depending on the final location decision let's see who was right after all".

Tenebra announced last year that TDU2 was in the planning stages only, we know it's coming, when it will be official announced and seen is another matter though.

Just have to keep this little quote here thanks.

Right, as diablo made a thread about (and under pressure from Atari, locked) TDU2 is officially in the works, but that's beside the point.

nope, he was saying that Oahu is 1500 sq KM, and if the next game was on an island, it would be an island that is also roughly 1500 sq KM. a guy came up with a list of similarly sized islands:

Island - Square Km - Country

Tenerife - 2,034 - Spain

Magdalena Island - 2,025 - Chile

Bioko - 2,017 - Equatorial Guinea

Kuiu Island - 1,962 - USA

Biak - 1,904 - Indonesia

Maui - 1,888 - USA

Mauritius - 1,836 - Mauritius

Jeju-do - 1,825 - South Korea

Afognak - 1,809 - USA

Umnak -1,793 - USA

Stewart Island/Rakiura - 1,746 - New Zealand

Bathurst Island - 1,693 - Australia

Fuerteventura - 1,660 - Spain

Zanzibar - 1,658 - Tanzania

Skye - 1,656 - United Kingdom

Soisalo - 1,635 - Finland

Lesbos - 1,630 - Greece

Great Inagua - 1615 - Bahamas

Oahu - 1,600 - USA

Senja - 1,586 - Norway

Dakhin Shahbazpur - 1,585 - Bangladesh

Gran Canaria - 1,560 - Spain

Middle Andaman Island - 1,536 - India

Flaherty Island - 1,525 - Canada

Retea - 1,480 - Romania

South Andros Island - 1,448 - Bahamas

Kauai - 1,446 - USA

Rhodes - 1,398 - Greece

nope, he was saying that Oahu is 1500 sq KM, and if the next game was on an island, it would be an island that is also roughly 1500 sq KM. a guy came up with a list of similarly sized islands:

None of them seem interesting bar O'ahu of course :oook:.

The only one I can see from that list that could be a possible island would be Tenerife but even that sounds dull :(.

We need North or South Island (New Zealand) that way they would be inclined to give us some Aussie V8'S (New Zealand is the second biggest market for Aussie cars :D!).

Hell Who's to say it will be an island ????????

I can imagine San Francisco being a great place, all those hills, Golden Gate Bridge & downtown San Francisco.

What about Calgary :D ??????

Its perfect, its not a big city, its next to some mountains, it is home to the best Hockey team :p and yeah loads of roads :D, PERFECT.

Seriously I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't an island :).

They'l probably keep it as an island, because it keeps out blocked off roads and things like that, which sub-consciously makes the game seem bigger. If you have roads that have stupid made up walls or accidents that never get cleared that stop you going past, it makes it seem like there's less of an area to explore, and they could've improved the game. Whereas on an island, there's no need for blocked of roads, and it makes it feel 'unlimited'. Geddit?

I want TDU 2 to use the barrier cannons like Motorcross madness to keep you in the map:D. If you stray to far a invisible cannon shoots you flying back into the map.

I loved that game :D

If they keep Oahu, they could at least open up some Car Lots we can enter, like Multi Story car parks, get rid of fences to enter car parks and stuff.

But it would be nice to have a different island all together to make it feel like a new TDU, because if they use Oahu again for TDU 2, it would really feel like TDU 2, just an expansion pack for TDU.

I doubt they will set it on Oahu again.

Possibly another Hawiian island, I somehow doubt Oahu again.:oook:

Dought it wil be another Hawiian island, there not very poputated lol.

Great Inagua in the Bahamas is famous kinda like oahu in "fame" so could eb that.

An island would be best as Randomus says ... means you don't have to use fake barriers to block roads off

I'll be happy with Oahu with more roads, better detail, better physical and mode cars, remember there are a lot of roads they didn't model!

and there's roads that aren't roads and/or are modeled incorrectly.

Guest ShiZzl3

it should be Australia. after all we are an island / continent. that would be sweet, even just a scaled down Australia? XD