We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Chatbox Killing The Need For A Forum?

T3hReaper91

As you all know there is a new addition to the website, you cant miss it you would have had to scroll past it to find this thread.

Anyway personally and i know im not alone but i think the chat box is a bad addition to the website.

Here are my reasons for this

• Forum Not As Active
  • It Just Gets Spammed
  • Not Moderated
  • Makes The Site Look Ugly

And many more small things.

The point of this thread is to gather your thoughts about the chat box and for you to see mine and other peoples opinions!

Thanks

T3hReaper

Guest RB26DETT

add some rules

* only post one sentence at a time, no double posting

* don't say lol, rofl, XD in one line, include it in your message

* no swearing

* only talk about hair products. ;)

^ How are you getting Deja Vu? xD That's weird as we've never had a chat box before, and you haven't had 1111 posts before :p

Anyways... I can't see it killing the forum. It may do a little at first, but give it chance to let the novelty wear off. It's not stopping me using the forum, and it doesn't appear to be stopping anyone else. Also keep in mind that the forum goes through fluctuations in activity anyways, the Modding has slowed down at little at the moment, people are back at work/school and there's a bloody HUGE spider crawling up my curtains right now O_O

Anyways, you can't say that the shoutbox is the sole reason for lowering activity in the forum yet.

Well I do and don't like it.

I like as it will hopefully stop threads from being spammed and people can chat and go OT in the chat room rather than in a thread. It will also get people talking to forum members they don't normally talk to.

The only thing I have against it is as soon as you log in you can see it, personally I think there should only be a link to it so then you can read the forum then go there instead of being drawn into convo before checkin the forum.

But atm it seems to be good, its only been here for just over a day now. As for the moderating of it, I guess there is someone on most of the time and if there is not anything that has breached rules is in the archive and as long as people report others for breaching rules, being offensive etc it should work aswell as the main forum.

Just my thoughts

tbh, I dont think chat box is killing the forum as yesterday we had over 200 members vist and a stupid amount of unregistered visits. So forum activity is not down, just posting is and lets be honest one minute its full of posts and the next its quiet, it has its ups and downs. And this chatbox thing is like the myspace type thing on here aswell, everyone uses it for the first few weeks then it dies down.

Im sorry to be negative T3hReaper, but your one of the only ones that spams it... "Please check out my video thread..." every 5 minutes *yawns*

This is always the problem with Chatboxes, but i think the only place it will take activity from is the bin and part of general chat, which, isnt too bad, people will still go to the mods section etc :)

I have been keeping tabs on this and to be honest it is the same people who are using the Chatbox as a Chat. Myself and many others jump in have a banter and then leave and do other things, as well as refresh the forum and watch the post count to see if any threads need checking or responded too, this is where I think some people especially the regulars are being lax.

They sit on the chatbox and that's it, they don't check out the activity on the forum and post in threads as the chatbox is full of others like them doing the same thing. As for activity it's still strong, you just might not notice it due to the posts being made in the chatbox. Trust me you'll see the usual suspects in the chatbox, the other members still jump in and have a shout but they also participate around the forum frequently.

yeah, the chatbox is removing the crap from the forum, but the chatbox for banter is a good thing, especially for the 360 crowd who are without information about TDU2, no DLC and a much smaller online community than what it was.

we're kind of in a drought at the moment, teh chatbox is good is for keeping teh community together, but for the activity of the forum, i think it would be best to keep it at the base of every page, so you can browse the forum but still have the chatbox

or maybe, a seperate pop up for the chatbox perhaps?