We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Nodz86

Starting off with the Zonda F's review. I think James did well here, and I don't really mean that in a serious sense. It was funny, and to the point. It was very nice for a change from Jeremy's dialogue, and interesting to see the Stig in clothes other than his own... :hmm: :lol:

Very nice to see a Veyron on the track too, and its clear that Bugatti didn't give them one, by the personalised numberplate seen. I think everyone on the planet owes that bloke a beer. He will become very drunk.

The news also went as normal, and it was brilliant to see Harry Enfield on again! I think they should have shown more of 'Clarkson Island', but oh well. I seemed awfully confused when watching the lap. It was as if Clarkson wasn't actually watching the lap...it looked amazingly slow and not 'ambitious' or 'quick' as he kept talking about. It just seemed slow. Lap time was not epic, but who was expecting anything specific? :lol:

The race. Now clearly Clarkson thought, how can I do this? I know, lets do it as I did before, by driving from London to Glasgow and back in an Audi A8 twin turbo! And it worked! James was simply let down by his sense of direction - before they set off. Going a longer route was stupid. But anyway, I would've taken the Jaguar as well. I love the new/current XJ. Having seen it at MPH08, It is HUGE inside, and actually bloody cool. Spec it in XJR black, and you have a truly scary car. I want one! But it is still amazing that a huge twin turbo V6 made it all the way.

And finally the Veyron lap. Well who was expecting it to blitz the lap board? Not me. That Gumpert is WAY to good to be beaten by a luxury whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh mobile. However I wasn't expecting it to end up 5th... The Zonda did well, but still not well enough IMO, but anyway. What goes, goes.

Overall, I would give it an 8/10. It was a very entertaining show, but not all that funny. However it was great to see another race in which certain things can't happen, and to see Clarkson writhing under the pressure was hilarious. Good stuff!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RB26DETT

Disappointing episode. No Sandero news. :(

J/K. :p

Fabulous episode this week! Same here, I didn't expect the Veyron to be #1 as it's just to heavy! 3 tonnes if I'm correct. I heard Jeremy saying that the Veyron had 984 horsepower while the Stig was doing his lap. Doesn't the Veyron have 1001 horsepower?

P.S. Mike, I now know why you love the Zonda. It's astonishing! THE SOUND! IT'S AN F1 CAR!

I think the race was organized - there is no way that the Jag makes it that far - have you noticed the duck tape? In one of the close shots the whole cap was taped and in the beginning - only 3 lines of duck tape were used. SIAPRC was great, despite I don't know the bloke. And have you noticed that the Bugatti had a dent under the left door :P

The super-saloon tests seemed perfect except for the fact that perhaps they were a little too short. Adding a third car would have elongated it sufficiently I think. However it featured enough detail, enough powersliding and enough brilliant filming. The IS-F surprised me in the powerlap, because I wasn't expecting such a supposedly fast car to be so slow. The M3 was as expected.

The news however was way too short. Not enough, er, news. Good stuff as it was, there wasn't enough of it. And what happened to the V8 stairlift? :lol:

The SIARPC won't have necessarily been recognised by many non-Brits (as usual - however next week will be a good one), but I found it very good. I love Grand Designs (McCloud's show), and his presenting. And it was very interesting to find out that he is a huge car nut - and a huge fan of V8s, like me! :p An excellently unexpected time too. Pushing Cowell down another notch!

And wonderful to see the return of the cool wall! :D The Scirocco - DEFINITELY super cool. And I sort of do agree with Jeremy on the Volvo. The V70 (and the one on the picture which was the R-design, or even an R) is a very nice car. And it is very understated too, which is cool. I wouldn't have put it so far up though. Only verging on sub-zero. However, I disagree completely with the Alfa. It is hideous. Horrible looking thing - you cannot possibly look cool in it. And the comment; 'Would you sleep with him?' 'I have to' really cracked us all up so much.

The bus segment was much more on the money. Great way to do it by starting it off seriously (like the other new forms of motorsport), then continuing to piss about causing hilarious consequences. Watching the bendy-buses swing about was truly excellent. However a worthy winner the single-decker was.

Finishing off with the Rivera race was a decent ending. Very funny to see them both pulled by the police, but what a car. Irrelevant that it lost, I would still have the car, for the simple reason you can show it to all your mates, go to school/work in it, and be very cool everywhere. Whereas to show the boat to your mates, you have to go on a day-trip down to the harbor, and look like a rich bugger. Beautiful car, too high tech boat. But if you're looking for a huge boat, then that is the one to get.

Overall, a very funny show, with plenty of variation and surprises throughout. 9/10.

Wow. Beginning the show with the Caterham suited it nicely. And what a car! The Veritas however, not so. I thought it was hideous, it looked truly disgusting, and it was much slower than the R500. They really should have tested the Levante, but I suppose that may have been too much. Average lap from the Veritas, but from the very start you could see that the Caterham was so much faster - it really shot off the line!

The news was actually a good one; they highlighted Clarkson's...er...media coverage well! :lol: But for once I found this segment interesting (I haven't been too fond of previous news'). Plenty of interesting news taking up just enough time.

The SIARPC was much better as well. Even though last week was someone who shared a huge liking of V8s with me, Boris cannot go without a miss. I'll be honest, I've not always like him, but today changed me even more towards the fellow. Interesting topics, and who wouldn't like to see some of Clarkson's ideas at the 2012 opening ceremony!! :D :lol: Pretty poor time, but he is a proper eco-warrior, and it was properly wet, so we'll let him off just this once.

The communist cars section was very on the ball, with my only quibble being that they told us about lots of cars, in a random order, and only went into detail on a couple of them. But unbelievably hilarious nonetheless. An excellent section with a very funny finale (pushing May off a hillside). S the Brits won the cold war after all! :lol:

Finishing off with the Fiesta was a VERY excellent finish to a very excellent show. The way they used the 'letter' to split it up into sections answering questions was brilliant. My favourite; "Is it green?". "Yes, very much so." :lmao: However the "Can it outrun a Corvette through a shopping centre" and "Can it be used on a tactile assault on land from sea" cannot go without a mention. Epic.

Seeing Clarkson being riddled with cartridges when the soldier fired out the window was priceless. And seeing the Corvette lay down it's mark on BHS was also hilarious.

Overall, a much better episode. Constantly enthralling, constantly thrilling, and constantly hilarious. I think this one deserves a 10/10.

I truly loved the Goody Vs Baddy scene when they were testing the New Fiesta through the shopping centre. The Corvette screamed around the place, but the marble floor was just too slippery for it's rear wheel traction. The Fiesta, on the other hand, was sliding beautifully around the isles, and when we saw the corvette crashed into a shop selling Teddy Bears, That had me quite literally laughing out loud.

I'm with Speedtouch on the rating, 10/10

I truly loved the Goody Vs Baddy scene when they were testing the New Fiesta through the shopping centre. The Corvette screamed around the place, but the marble floor was just too slippery for it's rear wheel traction. The Fiesta, on the other hand, was sliding beautifully around the isles, and when we saw the corvette crashed into a shop selling Teddy Bears, That had be quite literally laughing out loud.

I'm with Speedtouch on the rating, 10/10

I agree with Mousy and also give it a 10/10. Laughed the whole way through.

a good show.

Loved the Fiesta review (thinking of a Zetec S), the Vette in a shopping centre was definately staged but it was very good, especially when you think of how tight them places are. I wonder how they got permission from the Centre let alone the shops they drove through. And the Army bit was good, you could tell he was testing a desiel though as it never stalled in the sea.

The touring car segment was certainly a fun way to start the show. Brought in slowly, it had plenty of crashes to fill us with joy. I do agree entirely with what was said, too. The BTCC was the original best motorsport. And it is such a shame in the recent years it has fallen behind. I think the 80s and 90s were certainly something of a pinnacle for that motorsport. I laughed hard at the final crash too. The guy gets out after a monster crash then just stumbles a bit. A proper racing driver for sure.

The news was continuing the 'well on track' theme. Very funny, to the point, and full of amusing parts. Although maybe a tad too far with the final products. Not as good as the last 'Christmas gifts' section in series 10.

And the bringing back of the V8 was brilliant too. As soon as he started it it was clear that this application of such a motor was...not adequate to say the least. :lol:

SIARPC. Hmm. Now this was much worse for want of a better phrase. From the start Clarkson mentioned the CD, and that 'that was why he was here'. Now this has been the single reason why the SIARPC have been so good recently. NO PLUGGING. Frankly, they failed here. The interview was uninteresting, he was boring and the lap time was pretty bad too. We need more Kevin McClouds - unknown to some, unwanting of huge fame and a great guy. That is all we ask. Even if they don't like cars that much, they can still be brilliant.

The Tesla segment was much better. A nice car, and the review wasn't clouded by the fact it was an 'eco' car. An honest review, showing the reasons why it is such an important car, but also showing the points that you don't hear anywhere else, or think about. The tyres for instance - who thought they would be a problem? No-one. Because everyone else has tunnel vision towards the exhaust pipe. Or rather lack of it. Excellent videography too.

The stunt was a nice way to 'get it back' from 5th Gear. Or not. :lol: Sure they failed, but it was a hilarious way of doing it. Crashing cars (as proved in the touring car segment) is fun, and is always welcome. No worries about the consequences, and nice to see a controlled use of the stunt-man this time, not trying to instigate him into the show like the Stig is.

Finishing off with the FCX was a nice way to end. Like the Tesla, it wasn't stuck in 'lets hate the eco cars' mode, and in 'lets see what we can come up with about a new car' mode. Again as with the Tesla review, a nice honest review, with excellent videography, and some nice volleyballers too. And very nice to see Jay Leno's garage too. Some immense set up he has there! The phrase James used at the end tells it how it is I think. "The reason its the car of the future, is because its just like the car of today."

Overall, I'll give it an 8.5/10. Heading VERY close to a 10, but seriously let down by the SIARPC. Shame.

Just watched it now :

1) The BTCC - great introduction, very funny most of the time, especially with the crashes and Richard "Well apart from one here.....and here......aaaand here..." :lol: Then Jeremy`s idead cracked me up "Burning Touring Car Championship" :D

2) The News - had a great laugh at the Morris Marina...the quotes from the Morris Marina forum (JM - "The what?")...and then when they showed the Marina I knew that something would fell on it..."Those helicopter piano removals....they suck" :rofl: The presents were great fun..."A plate of sick, but when you put the BMW badge on it...30 pounds". Cock with Audi badge, MG clothes (JC - "You broke our tree), the wee thingy (RH - "I`m so disturbed by what I see")...:lol:

3) The Tesla - it`s pretty good actually but expected more from the car. And it recharges in 16 hours...:eek: And it`s too heavy...Damn, the Elise is better. Oh, and then comes the price. :eek:

4) V8 - I thought the granny would fly over the TV and the whole thing will falll apart but it was good fun anyways. :D

5) Top Gear StuntMan - it was obvious that they won`t break the record but damn, the destruction was massive.

6) Awards - hilarious. Especially with James and Richard laughing at Clarkson for his "boyfriend". And complilation of Clarskon getting hurt...:lol: James was so dumb in that Alfa Romeo part "Hello..." :D The best car should be the GT-R me thinks. The Fiat and Ford are amazing car but in different matters, the GT-R is the best all-rounder.

7) FCX - a very nice part of the show, I wasn`t really looking forward to it but it turned out very well. :)

Overall - 9,5/10

Guest RB26DETT

I liked the FCX segment the most. It looks like a car that I would drive because it doesn't look like a geeky gizmo like the Toyota Prius. Great to have Jay Leno on it as well, hope he does a SIARPC one time.

BBC responds to Tesla's Top Gear complaints

by Jeremy Korzeniewski on Dec 22nd 2008 at 8:29PM

tesla_drive_b_01_580opb.jpg

We've been following the roller-coaster ride that Top Gear's recent test of the Tesla Roadster has turned into with interest. Since Clarkson's video review first aired, reactions to the way the Tesla was presented have been mixed, and much of the debate has centered on one particular scene where the Top Gear crew can be seen pushing one of their Tesla test-cars into the garage after apparently running out of juice... except that it never happened. The BBC has released a statement admitting that Clarkson's tester still had power left and the scene was filmed to show what would happen if the battery had actually been depleted. Regardless, "Top Gear stands by the findings in this film and is content that it offers a fair representation of the Tesla's performance on the day it was tested."

So far, we've heard no word on whether offering "a fair representation" includes future reviews of petrol-powered cars that include scenes of each one being pushed into the garage after not running out of gas. Thanks for the tip, Doug!

Source: Register Hardware

Clarkson fires back over Top Gear/Tesla controversy

by Jeremy Korzeniewski on Dec 25th, 2008 at 9:58PM

Extending the controversy between Tesla Motors and Top Gear even further, Jeremy Clarkson has offered his own opinion regarding the issues of the Roadster's battery capacity and brake failure while being run 'round the Top Gear test track. Remember that the BBC already admitted that neither of its test cars actually ran out of juice, suggesting that the scene was filmed to show what would happen if it actually had. Clarkson's comments don't quite jive with that assessment, though, as he says, "We never said once that the car had run out of power. The car had to be pushed into the warehouse because you are not allowed to drive cars into a building. We calculated that it would have run out of power after 53 miles but they can't argue with that because that is a fact."

One area on which we agree with Clarkson is that it doesn't matter why the Roadster's brakes failed. Clarkson says, "Nobody gives a flying **** how the brakes failed. Whether it was a blown fuse or not, they were still not working." On the other hand, whether the now infamous scene of the electric car being pushed into a garage was to show what would happen in the event of a drained battery or because Clarkson wasn't allowed to drive it into the building (seriously, when did that ever stop them?), that image is now indelibly etched into the minds of Top Gear fans, for better or for worse. Thanks for the tip, Doug!

This is getting interesting...:thumbsup: