We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

StrickenHAWK?

Because second hand ;)

Despite only being ~18 months new I paid 58% of it's original sale price.

Also I do prefer the extra capacity in the sportback

It's the 1.8T petrol Quattro S-Line insert other random stuff here version.

At stock it's 175bhp / 275nm / ~6.8s 0-62 but I'm pretty tempted to get Stage 1 loaded which will be around 251bhp / 402nm / ?.? 0-62

I think down under the options are grouped together differently compared to EU/UK/USA and some are just not available

It has the comfort pack (whatever that does), the technik pack (sat-nav, bigger MMI, etc), and the S-line pack (appearance, wheels, flat-bottom steering wheel), plus the sunroof (meh). I've got the sunroof blind closed most of the time because of summer, although coming back to a dark interior it could be decent for the colder months.

The only thing not ticked is the driver assistance pack - of which the only extra item I would have liked is radar cruise control. The ability to soften the suspension a bit might also be nice but I don't think that's available on this model. It can reverse park itself, although I always forget about that and just do it myself.

I'd also have preferred the 'normal' leather seats - these have leather backs but are suede for the most part - but at least they still are heated (sure, not required, but once you've had them, there's no going back).

Audi Drive Select is installed with only the ability to set engine responsiveness and electric steering wheel weight. I have Individual enabled (Dynamic Engine + Comfort steering)

Dynamic puts the gearbox into Sport mode (just holds gears) but you can keep Dynamic and return to Drive mode so that all gears are used but responsiveness remains improved compared to Comfort/Efficiency modes.

Efficiency is quite interesting. It's just like Comfort but if you stop accelerating it disengages the clutch so that you essentially coast at higher speeds for longer (no engine braking).

Both steering weights are not ideal for me. If Comfort was 0 on a scale and Dynamic was 100, I'd like to set the steering at around 70 and forget about it (which I guess is roughly where the Mk6 Golf was). Comfort is great for navigating back streets (90 degree turns) which is why I often use it, but not great for the motorway or spirited forest driving. Dynamic just makes the wheel unnecessarily heavy and doesn't do a lot to improve the predictability of steering outputs. Or maybe it's just because I was cornering faster than I thought I was.

Cup-holder location is a bit of a pain as well if using bottles as they hit the dash. Door pockets are angled so no good for fast-food drive-thru runs.

Other imperfections with this particular car:

Strange rustling drivetrain noise under light acceleration from behind the firewall near the pedals.

Steering wheel emits clicking sound only when turning right

DCT is very jerky when downshifting/stopping, especially in sport mode. Never had that with my Golf or any other DCT.

Rushing sound heard left-rear as if a window wasn't closed properly, and strange window fogging there as well.

I seem to get treated like an 'Audi driver' a lot more often now though :(

I'd enjoy a seat-colder, to be honest. Nothing is worse than burning your legs in leather seats, after the car have been parked under the sun for a couple of time. And that is something i really miss in the Fiat Punto, it had poverty-spec seats, so, they were made of cloth, which didn't heat up that much, not burning me. :lol:

Edit: Forgot to ask, how many people have you tailgated already? Hahaha

Air-conditioning only works if the car is turned on, otherwise, nothing happens. Best solution would be a sun shader on the front windshield indeed, would prevent most cases and would sure prevent the dash from picking up so much heat like it does. But the seat issue, if the sun is sideways... Sun shader won't solve that much. :lol: i've been burned by that Honda so many times that now, when it's summer, i leave a towel inside it, if the seat has been heated, towel goes over it.

And well, it's ok, i will let the Golf go. As people say, it is the intention that matters, isn't it? Lol i will drive an Audi A3 instead. :lol:

Beige leather doesn't get too hot in the summer, it just makes your back and things kinda sweaty, but I don't really like how right now during winter the seats are coooold in the two three minutes while the seat heaters are just starting to heat up the seats. Remote pre-heater would be nice, though having an enclosed garage helps, too.

Window tint is a must, in my opinion. Could not live without them dark tint. 1) better looks, 2) lower temps, 3) privacy. I am not sure what % we have on our cars.

I think 3M does make a clear version that still blocks UV and heat.

I've got the sunroof blind closed most of the time because of summer, although coming back to a dark interior it could be decent for the colder months.

You'll learn to love it. One car has a panoramic moonroof and the other just a small moonroof. With the panoramic, I use the tilt function with the sunshade 90% closed, I find it useful when it's hot outside, and in the hot late afternoons/ evenings I fully open the moonroof and it's just purrfect... up to 100 kph. Beyond that it makes too much noise so it stays closed, but that depends on the car and the design of the system.

The smaller one in the other car, there's virtually no difference between open and closed sunshade.

Yeah, it adds weight in the worst place possible, but on most cars it's worth the extra natural light in the cabin.

DCT is very jerky when downshifting/stopping, especially in sport mode. Never had that with my Golf or any other DCT.

Interesting. VW AG use a billion types of DSGs, but I think both the old Golf and your new A3 have 7-speed "dry-clutch" transmission which in start-stop traffic, compared to "wet" 6-speeds, can be quite jerky according to the Internet. Might be worth checking the software version on yours.

--- Post Updated ---

And dude, nothing can block a 36~38ºC heat. :lol:

I did not say that.

You'll learn to love it. One car has a panoramic moonroof and the other just a small moonroof. With the panoramic, I use the tilt function with the sunshade 90% closed, I find it useful when it's hot outside, and in the hot late afternoons/ evenings I fully open the moonroof and it's just purrfect... up to 100 kph. Beyond that it makes too much noise so it stays closed, but that depends on the car and the design of the system.

The smaller one in the other car, there's virtually no difference between open and closed sunshade.

Yeah, it adds weight in the worst place possible, but on most cars it's worth the extra natural light in the cabin.

Interesting. VW AG use a billion types of DSGs, but I think both the old Golf and your new A3 have 7-speed "dry-clutch" transmission which in start-stop traffic, compared to "wet" 6-speeds, can be quite jerky according to the Internet. Might be worth checking the software version on yours..

Had it open a couple of times but imo it tilts the wrong way so is immediately too noisy (don't forget I also ride so I'm used to wind noise).

I went for this model mainly because of the stronger engine and wet 6spd DCT. I've tested numerous wet transmissions from VW and AAG on track days.

I could spend another grand on a TCU tune but will show the dealer first and look into warranty.

• 2 weeks later...

Was a while ago I posted this.

But its had a few nice mods since then:

• New inlet manifold with swirl flap delete
  • EGR delete
  • New turbo
  • Powerflex bushes
  • Eibach springs
  • DPF delete (*ahem)... Better mpg now and turbo is less restricted too.
  • Exhaust backbox delete...No silencers and much more natural noise with less restriction.
  • Oh and a sneaky little remap too

[ATTACH]27747[/ATTACH]

Such nice looking cars, I especially like the interiors. Had a quick look on eBay and looks like the TIs have halved in price since I last looked at them which is interesting, 2.4 JTDM's performance looks pretty much on par with my car which shows how much things move on over the course of a few years.