We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

What makes a Supercar for you.....

calster17

I was woundering, after talking to my mates from school, wheather or not that most people have the same idea of what a supercar, a supercar to you! We all had diffrent ideas, but were all weirdly the same....

For example, Is the Nissan GT-R a supercar? It's got the speed and looks, but as Evo Magazine put in replay to a letter on the GT-R, "Speed isn't everything. A true supercar should be exotic and glamorous (and possibly impractical) too"

For me its:

Stunning looks

A mid-engine V8, 10, 12 or

A front engine V12

A 2 seater

Not for a everyday manufacture of 'normal' cars(Sorry Nissan)

Be loud enough to deffen you, even if your some distence away from it

Faster than 195MPH(313Kph i think)

Impractical

Running Cost's that are Stupidly high

Have the abilaty to make a un-cool person cool

People stop, stare and take photos

And if i'm feeling the 1980's..... Must have pop-up lights!:cool:

So what makes a Supercar to you?

Evo know what a supercar is, they stick to the old adage from when supercars were supercars, none of this nonsense kids say today about a Supra, NSX, Corvette and of course the GT-R being a supercar. I'm not going to get into this debate again but a supercar is not only fast, it's also got that special something that you just can't explain.

A lot of cars are sportscars, but only a very few are supercars and then of course there are 'super cars' then there are supercars!

Well nowadays supercars aren't the top badge anymore, it's hypercars like the Veyron, Koeni, Zonda F/Cinque, Enzo and probably the one who started the whole Hypercar thing, the McLaren F1.

Supercars have got more docile as the years have passed and it's true many are now moreso Luxury Grand Tourers than a supercar or maybe you could call them a Super Grand Tourer, who knows, what is definitely changing is that it's much harder to make the distinction between them now, that is for sure.

Something I can't afford.

Nah, seriously. For me its got to be fast, loud and expensive. Class and style would also be a must for me, but cant include it as everyone's differs.

Would I include cars from the rising sun?.. Eh.. Yes, reluctantly. But they can't seem to build cars with passion.

A supercar competes in a market; a hypercar doesn't.

The Ferrari 458 is a supercar. It is battling with the Lamorghini Gallardo, Aston DBS, McLaren MP4-12C and more not just for sales, but for more sales. The supercar is what makes money for exotic manufacturers, at least for the most part.

However, for many of these companies, a hypercar is probably a smart move business wise because it draws attention. You don't need to make that many of them (77, in the case of the Aston One-77, and even as low as 20 for Lamborghini's Reventon), but you do need to make the posters and get people talking.

People don't really walk into a Lamborghini dealership for the Gallardo - they walk in because the Murcielago, and the Diablo, Countach, and Miura before it, were so insane, so radical, and had such unbelievable visuals, that they have to have a Lamborghini. So they buy the Gallardo.

From what I've noticed, the supercars are, in most cases, the actual business part of an exotic company; priced competitively, with similar performance to its competitors. Hypercars are the price-no-object hype cars, made to draw attention to the brand so people will buy more supercars.

-Leadfoot

I think its just got to be fast, expensive, exclusive, loud and crazy. I don't see a 911 or a R8 as a super car, just sports cars. My dad's car is quick and fast but is not a supercar as its just not expensive enougth and the engines not big eougth.

I really don't think there are many supercars left, there are crazy hypercars like the veyron. Supercars must be like lp640 and DBS, Not sure a DB9 is though, V8 vantage certainly isn't. Can't really think of any more supercars. ZO6 probably is.

It needs to have:

- a price of at least 200.000 euros in Holland (here you pay 40% additional taxes on top of the official guideline price)

- just enough luggage room for maybe 2 laptop bags

- a stock top speed of at least 300km/h without going downhill, having wind in your back or any friends pushing or blowing the car forwards

- swarms of 15-year olds with huge camera's around it when you leave it parked and not look at it for 20 minutes

- repaircosts for simple fixes, exceeding the price of an average compact-class car.

A Lamborghini.

Baisically:

> Looks gorgeous OR looks purposeful (eg: Gumpert)

> Sounds gorgeous (pretty much any supercar)

> Is exclusive and rare, something you wont see everytime you step out of the house, unless of course you live next door to a Lambo showroom

> Fast, ie: over 180mph would class as a supercar for me

> Expensive, for example, a £30,000 Focus RS, sure it ticks most of the above boxes, however it isn't exactly rare or exclusive, or expensive, so this wouldn't be a supercar (with the exception of american cars)

> Italian - not always, but look at what they make/have made, Murcielago SVs, Gallardo Balbonis, Scuderias and all of that stuff.

> Handle well - most supercars do this anyway

> Must either have a functional interior (eg: Koenigsegg) or have a luxerious interior, bathed in leather or swade (eg: Veyron)

If a car ticks all of the above boxes, it certainly qualifies to be a Supercar imo. ;)

Supercars are extremely powerful, fast, and expensive and have amazing designs. Also very exclusive.

The rest are GTs and sports cars.

Example: The Ferrari Enzo and the Ferrari 599 GTB share the same engine, but the Enzo is a supercar and the 599 isn't because of the points I made above.