We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Transmission discussion

RX_37

Which transmission do you drive most atm?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which transmission do you drive most atm?

• Manual (H shifter)
    • Standard automatic
    • CVT
    • Dual-Clutch (i.e. DSG, Powershift)
    • Other
    • Don't drive yet

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A real car enthusiast does not prefer automatic over manual, no exeptions. If it was up to me they should ban automatic cars altogether.

You might know i'm a proper car enthusiast.

I love automatics when driving around town and on the highway. It's just so relaxed!

But i definately agree. For a better throttle response on some twisty b-roads. Gotta love the manual...

Automatic means the car is driving you, not you driving the car. To really enjoy driving you need to be all connected to the vehicle, not just sit along for the ride doing nothing.

And what's the deal with auto on highways? I never got that. The highway is the place where you would absolutely least NEED an auto box. You accelerate to Top Gear, then stay there for 200 miles. Why would you then need an auto when you're not changing gears anyway?? Unless you're confusing highway with traffic jam.

I mean no disrespect but i just don't get the whole idea :P

AYou accelerate to Top Gear, then stay there for 200 miles.

and a straight visit to pay the ticket fees you've been collecting all day

the idea of automatic gearbox is genius. If you don't live in a shole like london you'll never get the appeal of it . The modern auto transmissions are so clever , they are nothing like before.

What tickets? Tolls? Moving an arm and a leg once every few miles isn't too hard work is it? We don't have those here so i can't say anything about that. And i didn't mean 200 mph, but miles in distance as a random example number.

Sure they might be as genius as the guy who invented electricity but it's still an auto. It just doesn't matter.

lol I love both transmissions but you've got to understand a few things, I spend most of my driving time sitting in traffic jams going 5 mph and when the roads open up you can't go faster than 40 , why tire out my leg over something ridiculous as that. Auto transmissions today responds quicker than any manual today. And sequential doesn't count because they use the same clutch system as the auto.

Yes in traffic jams auto is probably better. And i also know that the new auto boxes are miles faster than any human can shift by hand but that wasn't the point i was making. For the absolute driving pleasure and full interaction with the car the manual is still and always will be the only solution.

Taking it another step further to hardcore is like my '83 Corolla. That doesn't have any fancy ABS or even power steering. It's just man and machine, no interferences. And i like driving that car, despite it's faults here and there.

the auto gearbox of my Mondeo works like a charm but as said earlier its not as responsive as a manual but when you driving about 2000 miles a month a manual will kill ur leg

And most modern autos have a manual setting allowing you to change gear yourself. Mine does, it's not as good as a proper manual but it's not just me driving a car and my dad can't use a clutch anymore, no matter how much he'd love to be able to.

I don't see the huge appeal over stretching your left leg and moving a stick around (small things amuse small minds I guess) :cheeky: (that's a joke)

MT is good for holding the gear you want for the best power/RPM. I can easily do that in my car via sequential stick shifting or paddle shifting. The automatic Sport Mode in DSG VW's is excellent at holding gears anyway and would be a faster option if you were a noob. If I lived and worked in the mountains a manual would be great, but I don't - I work in the city. I've driven manuals in long stop/start traffic and it's annoying. In that situation you want something that's as comforting and relaxing as possible to keep the stress levels low, and my car delivers that for me in spades (just pop a DVD on if I'm cheeky or browse my 30GB internal HDD for different music). I don't need to move a stick around to have fun while driving. I understand the pleasure of mastering MT but then some people still prefer to listen to vinyl records as well instead of MP3's. Once might be better in one or two ways, but the other has more than enough pro's to make it the preferred option. Just to be clear, I'm not having a go at MT or saying it's bad and have utmost respect for those who drive it, but just highlighting that whlie they're undeniably better than conventional automatic slushboxes, the same can't be said of DSG.

What I might do at this point is move the AT/MT discussion to a new thread and add some sort of useless poll. :nuts:

Ryzza u forgot some xD

VW owns lambo, audi, seat, skoda, bentley, bugatti and i think i said it all, oh right that weird thing between porsche and VW, porsche owns more than half of VW but VW is the head management company, so it remains as it was before without porsche's influence or something like that!

oh actually, its audi which owns lambo xD

To really enjoy driving you need to be all connected to the vehicle, not just sit along for the ride doing nothing.

So basically you'd say you would not enjoy driving an automatic Ferrari for a day?

Just because a car has an auto box doesn't mean it's not fun to drive. Sure, it would be better with a manual, but to make that type of assertion is an overstrech.

A real car enthusiast gets pleasure out of driving their car, period. Transmission types really shouldn't bother that person.

:agreed:

Manual for me, I can see why people would want an Automatic and wouldn't hold it against them. Sat in slow moving traffic I'm not bothered, if I let the clutch out slowly in my car it'll pull itself along (it'll even do it comfortably in 2nd) without me touching any of the pedals, that's obviously down to torque though. My clutch pedal is far from light, infact it's shocking how heavy/stiff it is to use after I've driven the Alfa or Skoda, but I personally find that makes it easier to use. Same with the steering, it's on the heavy side despite being power steering, but I feel that I can be a lot more accurate with it.

To be honest though, when I look at cars, as soon as I see an Automatic shifter sat where a proper gear stick should be I turn my nose up at it and walk away without second thought. Can't be bothered with the slight impact on fuel consumption and the possible (expensive) problems it may cause later in life, not to mention I think that a lot of the Automatic shifters look ugly.