We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Paris Motor Show 2014

CarMadMike

Hola!

Thought I'd make a thread for the Paris Motor Show as I'm sure we'll have some good talking points between now and Friday.

I was originally going to label this thread PMS 2014, but that would imply I either have bladder issues or pre menstrual tension (which many of you would agree with).

K.

So here is what we've had so far, feel free too add in a similar format as cars get released as I'm not home from work till late:

VW XL1 Sport:

0-60: 5-6 seconds

Top speed: 168mph

POWAAHHH: 200hp Ducati engine

MPG: still lightweight so should be fairly good, though I haven't seen a figure yet

If it were on the TG coolwall: Perhaps just over the line into cool simply due to it having a ducati engine and revving to 11,000rpm.

My opinion of the original XL1 was that it seemed like an amazing piece of technology when it was first thought of, but as soon as vehicles such as the Tesla Model S came out, it's importance faded somewhat. However at least its part of VW so the technology will be passed down to a number of tediously boring cars.

hpd8mqtgjupwdvoqhai8.jpg

k6czfjzeefivzska4v0v.jpg

Lamborghini Asterion LP910-4:

0-60: 3ish Seconds

Top speed: 198mph

POWAAHHH: 610hp V10 :drool: + 300hp electric motor

MPG: 57mph

If it were on the TG coolwall: To me, probably just a bit uncool, because it's a dull looking lambo.

They've gone a bit of a different way to the other 3 hypercars by the looks of it, more of a Jalpa replacement and Grand Tourer than outright track beast. Which kind of makes it fairly different to the others, its cabin looks comfortable.

exezzniiyj3wempbwsvn.jpg

fgd0bgq0tfaycus9espz.jpg

Audi TT Sportback Concept :

0-60: 3.9 seconds

Top speed: Dunno

POWAAHHH: 2.0-liter TFSI, 400 horsepower and 332 pound-feet of torque.

MPG: Dunno

If it were on the TG coolwall: Uncool. Another VW niche filled, next to the A3 Sedan, A5 Sportback, A6, A7 Sportback, A8, A9 Sportback, A10, A11 Sportback, A12, A13 Sportback. I think this is one sedan too many, hence the uncool.

The Audi TT has always been a bit more brokeback than sportback, but it appears that has changed. The performance figures are great, but to me it just screams VW being a bit boring and expanding their line-up unnecessarily in boring ways, nothing to get excited about imo.

z89jqig9fko4aq0xszns.jpg

afqnkfioga8v5pnedmvb.jpg

Kia Sorento

0-60: 9 seconds

Top speed: 125mph

POWAAHHH: 200hp CRDI

MPG: To be announced

If it were on the TG coolwall: Seriously Uncool. I'd say the previous Sorento might have been better, but this one is just too boring.

The issue I think is that Kia have improved their designs a fair amount, however so have Hyundai etc, meaning they still all look similar and a bit boring because of that. I do like the brave colour for such a family car. I hope to see more colours like this on the road.

sorento-4.jpg?itok=0bRw-BAX

sorento3.jpg?itok=34pNZxmd

Jaguar XE

I'm giving the figures for the base version as thats the one being unveiled, we've seen the XE-S for months if not almost a year now I think.

0-60: 8.2 seconds

POWAAHHH: 161hp diesel

Price: £29,775

MPG: 75

If it were on the TG coolwall: Unsure. I'd verge on saying cool as it's a good alternative the usual boring german exec saloons.

That level MPG figure on a british (i guess) made engine is quite surprising as british companies are quite small and it takes a lot of funding to make such progress. I hope it works out well for Jag as I always have a soft spot for them. This bottom spec car does seem quite dull looking though, but as does a bottom spec 3-series etc.

jaguar_xe_portfolio_02.jpg?itok=mQu2HvCr

jaguar_xe_portfolio_04.jpg?itok=Qmzqfc2N

I'll update this tomorrow as I expect much more news than today.

Image credits go to Jalopnik and AutoExpress

To add to the VAG party, they also unveiled this...

[ATTACH]21561[/ATTACH]

The new Ducati Scrambler, which frankly looks great! Comes in 4 models, the one shown is the 'Classic' which halks back to the original more than the other ones in the range do.

No news on the cars from me...most of them have been shown already weeks in advance. I mean honestly, that kill's the show if you ask me as it's not a surprise! Hat's off to VW though with the XL1 Sport as that was unexpected!

Also I wont even comment on the TT saloon...and that's the worst form of negative comment from me.

I agree about things being released prior to a Car show. It invalidates the whole point for those that aren't actually going to the show.

People use the argument that we only ever really see renders before a car show, but if the real thing is worth seeing that much over a render then the render is misleading surely? This is a habit i'm hating at the moment.

I hope people use this thread >.< I've done some in the past that went down well, though I guess like you said, car shows aren't as exciting anymore.

When I went to the London show back in 2008 (Also the last time they ever had one) I remember I tried to have a media blackout to avoid the Evora, and managed it as Lotus had't shown the car or let out images. Then when i saw it there on the stand, it was pure win on a slowly spinning stand captured the heart of a 14 year old me at the time.

Now I can be at work, go on my phone and see the cars as they come and be like "So it does look like how it was showed to be last month when they showed it off in a press release, yawn". Also the other half of the time it's manufactures doing special launches away from motor shows. All the Motorshow is these days is a change for us commoners to see it with our own eyes a little bit in advance. :lol:

But We'll see what else comes thats un-expected. :)

Mercedes-AMG C 63 AMG W205/S205

0-60: 4.0 - 4.2 seconds

Top speed: 250 (280+) kph

POWAAHHH: 471- 510 PS

MPG: 8.2 l/100 km (NEDC)

If it were on the TG cool wall: A 500HP V8 in a relatively small RWD saloon car. Also available in wagon form and a more powerful S trim. What's not to like?

It's the now usual AMG recipe. Take a downsized biturbo V8 (though a brand new, even smaller one) , mate it to a slightly outdated MCT 7-speed automatic and a clever electronically limited diff, add some adaptive dampers, carbon ceramics, heated and ventilated seats and off you go hunt the Bavarian M and Ingolstädter RS cars. This time without 'Benz' in its official name.

It's not looking as sharp as the old model, and that glorious 6.2 M156 of the outgoing C 63 is something that will be missed, but on the other hand it's going to be a better all-round package and I certainly hope a better on the track. The competition is tough.

And did I mention it's got all the torques and a big boot?

Mercedes_C_63_AMG_2015_sada_12_800_600.jpg

Mercedes_C_63_AMG_2015_sada_08_800_600.jpg

Mercedes-AMG C 63 AMG W205/S205

V8

:D

Downsizing doesn't have to mean cutting cylinders off and luckilly AMG sticks to that (apart from the MFA cars).

That estate looks hot, I really like the new wheels on it too. Sound is also great again :D

I agree with Evo's Catchpole about the Lambo probably looking a lot better in the flesh as you can see the proportions a bit better. It certainly looks better in the video than in the pictures, the hexagons are a cool idea.

Thanks for adding to the thread Merc! :D The more technical the C63 gets the less cool it gets imo, the old brutish V8 was supercool due to its thug like muscle behaviour, I hope some of this carries through.