We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Salon de TDUCK: New Car Releases

CarMadMike

Seen the Fiat '124'(as it's been dubbed) shot's kicking about for a wee while.

As everyone expected, it's a MX5 body & chassis with Fiat's noise & rear grafted on, and well the cockpit is 100% mazda.

Word is it'll have the 1.4 turbo from the Abarth 500 and the 1750 Alfa motor from the 4C. With the 1.4 having a choice of a manual.

Honestly looking forward to the car, as I like the MX5 alot, but the look's are a bit odd in places to me (Aggressive front end with cutesy rear?), and the Fiat should have a classic look to it. But we'll see. :)

Fiazda... Toyobaru, what's next?

If you think that's fun, there's a chance that the next GT86 will be based on the MX5...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somehow I doubt Toyota went to the effort of developing a new platform with a low COG, low weight, etc to make a competitor to the MX5, just to end up making a MX5. :p

Sound's silly, yes. But keep in mind that they have formed a partnership as of this year, and the GT86 has't set the world alight as much as they would have hoped. (The stance kid's love it though). Cut manufacturing cost's on there side of thing's as well. Not as silly as it seem's.

Although, there is the S-FR concept kicking about, which could also take the mantle.

Although, keep in mind the ToMoCo partnership with BMW, and the fact they own Fuji Heavy industry's (Subaru)...so anything can happen. :lol:

Face lifted Mercedes SL is due at the LA Autoshow...

[ATTACH]24310[/ATTACH]

Not much other than this teaser yet, but expect it to keep much of the same mechanical (Hoping so, the current 65 has 621hp & 738 lb·ft!). If Merc keep up the good work in the styling department like they have the with S & C class coupes then it should be a cracker! :D

Info from Autoexpress, but feel free to check elsewhere.

The rear end won't change much sadly. Assists will be updated and I've read that the 500 might get a 9-speed auto but that's all. Think they'll keep the old 5.5 there as well.

The facelifted SLK roadster (to be named SLC) is said to be revealed in December before Detroit (new E-klasse mid-December) and AMG boss has said they're ditching the V8 AMG model in favor of a 450 AMG Sport with the V6 Biturbo known from other Mercs.

Also worth noting is the lack of price increase over the 4wd version. :hmmm: Though it'd never have been more/less expensive that a buyer couldn't afford one if they could afford the other, it's just nice to see that it's very much an alternative, not a superior/lesser vehicle.

I prefer the older bumpers though, I think they're over-designing the thing. Both the Murcielago and Gallardo has such simple designs when they were first created but looked ridiculously over-designed by the time they bit the dust, seems to be the done thing at lambo as this is heading in that way too.

Also worth noting is the lack of price increase over the 4wd version. :hmmm: Though it'd never have been more/less expensive that a buyer couldn't afford one if they could afford the other, it's just nice to see that it's very much an alternative, not a superior/lesser vehicle.

I prefer the older bumpers though, I think they're over-designing the thing. Both the Murcielago and Gallardo has such simple designs when they were first created but looked ridiculously over-designed by the time they bit the dust, seems to be the done thing at lambo as this is heading in that way too.

How could I forgot the price. Sorry :fp:

I agree about the bumpers; think it would not be a problem to put on the old ones.

I like it, too. The rear wheel opening is bigger than the front one so it naturally needs a bigger wheel to not look ridiculous. New cars sit too high and/or have too big wheel openings.

For example, AMG GT S comes with optional 19" fronts and 20" rears. In order to have the same diameter, tires with lower a lower sidewall must be used. You can see here that it looks pretty bad. Lambo's doing it right.

That with the RWD Hurracan costing less...by the end of the Gallardo's run you could get the RWD as without it being a limited number car(Al-la Balboni) , and with a manual. And to top it off the RWD manual was the cheapest in the range if memory serves me correctly.

-

Anyways, Fiat 124 has got official pictures....

[ATTACH]24349[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]24350[/ATTACH]

Still no official word on engines, but every motoring publication and there mum say's it'll have the Multijet 1.4 pot turbo with a choice or manual or slushbox, and power of 140 or 160bhp on offer.

Personally, I think it looks fantastic. Better than the MX5 is's based on in my opinion. :)

Just need to see if in the metal to judge.

The styling is a bit odd from some angles, but makes up for others, works better than the "Aggressive front & cutesy rear" of the ND MX5. (Although the front 3/4 view of the MX5 is nice!)

Also, less than 24 hours after the car was officially announced, a source close the Abarth has told Pistonheads that Abarth is going to be entering the WRC with the car come 2017. Which is also the same year an Abarth edition of the car is due. :D

Werner_Fessl_and_Heinz_Peter_Gabriel_Fiat_124_Abarth_1.jpg

Source: Abarth to take 124 Spider rallying - Pistonheads

Pic for the hell of it, somewhat related. :)