We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Need for Speed {DT} - General Discussion Thread

calster17

you'll be disappointed.

the only nfs that tried to be realistic was shift2

I enjoy arcade racers just as much as sim racers infact I enjoy them more in most cases. What I can't stand is the identity crises cases like the crew and tdu2.

My problem with the physics is not about being simulator or arcade, but about the real feeling of me driving. I played Midnight Club 3 DUB Edition for hours and hours, and that game is really far from simulators or realism, although, i got the feeling that i was the one driving, different than Hot Pursuit 2010, where i felt totally "disconnected" to the car. I was not driving, i was giving commands to a computer that can't understand what i want.

I've just explained 5 posts above yours. I've played Need For Speed since the Hot Pursuit III, on the PS1, and i enjoyed it. I played the NFS IV, Porsche, Underground I and II, Most Wanted and so on and never complained about it being arcade, until the Undercover, which had this "Disconnected" feeling and i couldn't play it for five minutes. Even Juiced 2 had better "Physics" than that.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find slow driving in MW 2005 and newer annoying. The cars felt stubborn, stiff and had no suspension travel at all.

yeah you are pretty much on the spot.

For me the best handling of Arcade physics of NFS was NFSU2 counting from HP2. For me MW '05 and on the driving became disconnected from the player and this is coming from a keyboard player.

Another game that made Arcade physics right was for me was the Dirt Series(till Dirt Showdown not Dirt Rally)', Grid and Grid 2 where you could play it fine on a Keyboard.

Hot Pursuit 2 probably had the best physics for me from NFS series, UGs werent bad but they already had the heavy feel to them.

Another games that nailed arcade physics would be Blur, FlatOut series, whenever i come back to those games i have a blast playing them.

DSF has some truly great gamepad arcade physics but I'd never try to play it with a wheel, in difference to TDU1 (even noob mode).

The funny thing (from a PC perspective) is that a lot of these classic NFS games with relatively good handling come from a time where PC players weren't all unified with a common controller, but rather a whole variety of different ones, mostly with no analog inputs, and many more only used keyboards. With worse input and processing hardware we somehow had a more believable arcade experience.

K, customization looks to be great although neither of them have showed us anything but pre-set widebody kits. Wheel selection is great, too, new brands that have never been featured in games like Vossen or Vorsteiner.

Handling is, um, yeah, MW-ish I guess? :mhmm:

By the way, I've really come to appreciate VVV's calm approach and commentary after watching all the other racing youtubers. Annoying exaggerations are not my thing, thx. :gmc:

Don't confuse ricey cars with proper builds guys. If you see huge wings or apparently flashy stuff like that on these cars in NFS, that doesn't mean these parts are useless. Tuning brands in this game are pro ones, this means you can build a race car with such components IRL, not something suitable for your local ricey meet.

And I'm not even talking about aestethics. Feel free to compare the ugliness of Underground 2 bodykits with these ones.

This is not UG2, this is on another level, because of the huge help by SpeedHunters.

Rain makes for better instgram photos yo!

#socialmedia #scene #hella

:lol:

Lol i can see myself getting tired of that really fast, if turning off the splatter on screen wont be an option, just like i got tired of the awfully overdone bloom In Undercover

Don't confuse ricey cars with proper builds guys. If you see huge wings or apparently flashy stuff like that on these cars in NFS, that doesn't mean these parts are useless. Tuning brands in this game are pro ones, this means you can build a race car with such components IRL, not something suitable for your local ricey meet.

And I'm not even talking about aestethics. Feel free to compare the ugliness of Underground 2 bodykits with these ones.

This is not UG2, this is on another level, because of the huge help by SpeedHunters.

They're reflecting the tuning culture just like they did in Underground.

That F&F stuff was rice as hell, I agree. However, the today's fad (outrageous wings, diffusers and aero stuff on stanced air bagged cars with stretched tired) is nothing better.

Need For Speed won't have bagged cars, you have to race with your vehicle so it's obviously " function > form " logic here.

EA didn't reflect the past tuning culture with Underground, they just spread ignorance. Just look at this Pimp My Ride episide, the guy wanted a car like the one he made in NFSU2, I think that explains alot. Pimp My Ride 2x07 Nissan 240SX 89 - YouTube

UG2 came out in 2004, and in 2004 I assure you the real tuning culture was different. As an example, this game "Kaido Battle" a.k.a. "Tokyo Xtreme Racer - Drift" which came out in 2003. IGCD.net: Vehicles/Cars list for Kaido Battle

Take a look at the tuned cars of this game, you won't find ricey vehicles in it, but track-day / time attack builds.

This because UG/UG2 shared the Ricer culture, not the real Tuning culture, the tuning with a purpose. That's the difference between UG and the nowadays NFS.

Need For Speed won't have bagged cars, you have to race with your vehicle so it's obviously " function > form " logic here.

EA didn't reflect the past tuning culture with Underground, they just spread ignorance. Just look at this Pimp My Ride episide, the guy wanted a car like the one he made in NFSU2, I think that explains alot. Pimp My Ride 2x07 Nissan 240SX 89 - YouTube

UG2 came out in 2004, and in 2004 I assure you the real tuning culture was different. As an example, this game "Kaido Battle" a.k.a. "Tokyo Xtreme Racer - Drift" which came out in 2003. IGCD.net: Vehicles/Cars list for Kaido Battle

Take a look at the tuned cars of this game, you won't find ricey vehicles in it, but track-day / time attack builds.

This because UG/UG2 shared the Ricer culture, not the real Tuning culture, the tuning with a purpose. That's the difference between UG and the nowadays NFS.

So you're telling me that UG & UG 2 didn't represent the (then underground) import car culture of the late 1990's and early 2000's and that EA was being sarcastic? Look at the photos below. They're from Hot Import Nights events, circa 1999-2003 when the import car culture was still an underground thing.

7174003206_31f515efdf_o.jpg

7174010530_4d73993396_o.jpg

052.jpg

055.jpg

001.jpg

013.jpg

original_20120421143733_image_83.jpg

The problem is that from today's perspective what we see on the photos above is rice. Riced out Civics with wild bodykits, empty NOS bottles and playstations in the interior. And this what the underground import car culture back in the day was all about. Fast & Furious movie in 2001 brought JDM into the US and helped the import cars get mainstream. This is when people started going crazy about "JDM", Supras, Skylines, VeilSide kits, etc. Influence #1.

Another influence was the DUB culture. Huge chrome wheels, spinning wheels, LCD's and billion megawatt audio setups, SUV's.

151070-Need_for_Speed_-_Underground_2_(USA)-3.jpg

EA went a little bit crazy with the modifications, but you can clearly see the base line.

My point is that what we see now as rice (the vehicles above) was cool fifteen years ago. What we see as cool now will be rice in a decade. Most of the mainstream styles I mean. NFS 2015 seems to be heavily based on "USDM". Though we have yet to see VIP style.

Funny thing is Americans are going crazy after what the Japanese have been doing for quite some time and then the Japanese take it back to Japan and back and forth, but that's for another discussion.

P.S.: And no, a slammed Rocket Bunny BRZ with stretched wheels is not a track day car. :p

If you followed the Ricer culture back in the days as the main culture that's your own problem, because you just followed a stupid trend and not the real culture which was really behind everything.

a Super Street Mag cover in 2006:

Super_Street-2006-04.jpg

And do you know the difference betwenn a Slammed car and a car with low ride height with a purpose?

Please review the meaning of the "Slammed" word.

greddy-x-rocket-bunny-kit-fr-s-side-view

Slammed | StanceNationâ„¢ // Form Function

If you followed the Ricer culture back in the days as the main culture that's your own problem, because you just followed a stupid trend and not the real culture which was really behind everything.

a Super Street Mag cover in 2006:

What is the real culture? Can you tell me? I don't know. Is it time attack cars? What kind of cars do you see now at street car shows? Time attack cars?

Bruh, we're talking about the import car culture not some track day bros.

Show me pics from import car shows from the early 2000's.

Also you've posted a 2006 magazine - UG2 is two years older if I could nitpick. :cheeky:

And do you know the difference betwenn a Slammed car and a car with low ride height with a purpose?

Please review the meaning of the "Slammed" word.

What does this have to do with my previous post in the first place? Every car has a ride height that serves some purpose.

I'm telling you again, this new game is about the current street car culture. That's why they're pushing forward RWB, RB, that Yakuza guy and of course they can't do a NFS game without Mr. Block so they threw him in too. What was UG all about? You're right, street culture.

So the only difference is you just hate the 2000's import cars in my post. It is the same idea.

Oh and FYI, I don't hate the stance thing. I appreciate some of the cars and IMHO they're much better than what Americans used to do in early 2000's.

Import Tuner - August 2002

B2npXE4.jpg

Super Street - June 2002

KMMJ2js.jpg

Super Street - November 2002

19yZX96.jpg

Super Street - December 2003

B4Qd4iT.jpg

I don't hate anything, that's your only impression of my words. I'm explaining you that proper tuning culture always existed but you just didn't know as apparently you were sure only ricers ruled since 2000 to 2010. Tuning is about preparing a car with a sense and a logic, this has been done since day one until now.