We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Audi vs BMW vs Mercedes-Benz

MCW

Which German car-maker is the best?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Which German car-maker is the best?

This has always been a debate: Which German car maker, between Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz is the best

Personally, I think during the early 90s, Merc were at the top, BMW 2nd and

Audi 3rd, but when Mercedes started to cut costs in the late 90s, in my

opinion they dropped to the bottom leaving BMW and Audi to fight it out.

During the early 00s I think BMW ruled, but around 2005/6, Audi has without a doubt climbed to No.1, with fabulous new cars (RS6, R8) and a 25% sales increase worldwide.

Recent good cars:

Audi: S3, RS4, S5, RS6, S8, R8, R10 TDi

BMW: M3, M5, M6

Mercedes-Benz: Most AMG models, SLR

It's a tricky one

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Voted Audi, being as i prefer the saloons, although it was close because i love the Z-series cars BMW does, (not a fan of the M series and actually really hate the X series because I'm a bit of an environmentalist, and whilst i don't mind fast cars having crap economy, 4x4's that are useless off-road and are owned by knobs that like to bully other drivers i hate though :p)

love the new S5, there's one by my college in blue, its sexual.

Best at what?

I can think of good and bad points for all 3 companies

BMW - great engines shame about the exterior styling

Audi - solid cars shame about the blandness (except R8)

Merc - good cruisers shame about the build quality

Oh I selected Audi ... the only company out the 3 I'm likely to buy from

I chose Audi. Current cars (and almost all cars during the '00s) look better than anything from BMW and Merc (5-series/X5? Yuck!). Interiors also look quite good. But i think the main draw is that Audis are much more uncommon than Mercs and BMWs (at least where I live)

Oh and someone in school has a blue-gray Audi A6 Avant S-line, with the same rims the A3 in TDU. Looks soooooo good

You're all freaks! And you're all very very wrong!

There is no contest. Mercedes are big, slow and preferred by the geriatrics of the world. They're also very expensive compared to their alternatives. Audi are the wannabe's. Their saloon line are competent bids on how to start the competition against BMW, but they're still nowhere near BMW, even though the company has produced cars for longer than any of the other two.*

The BMW's has always been the racebreed of the three, while Mercedes has settled for the comfortable leisurable saloons meant for those that didn't want speed, but went for durability and quality. Two things that the late 90's and early 00's took care of. Shoddy workmanship and poor quality materials has degraded the mercedes for quite a few generations, and while they have indeed undone these missteps they still suffer from problems with integrity and the sales are lower than they have ever been.

The EVO II version of the BMW E36 M3 was voted "The Best Handling Car ever... at any price" in 1997 and even today the M3 E46 GTR are leaving supercars from respected producers standing.

Audi however has generated the TT and lately the R8. While looks are a matter of taste, the cars are better than they have ever been, which cannot be debated, but they are still a long ways behind the BMWs that you can get at the same price. It's easy to argue Audi's successes with the performance of the S series Quattro, but price-wise they should be compared to the M-series cars, and as such, they are still inferior.

I may be biased towards BMW as I am big fan, but I have driven lots of them and lots of Audis, and the feeling I get when I gun a BMW is sooo much better than anything an Audi can give me.

*BMW as we know it was founded in 1922 when Bayerische Flugzeugwerke AG and Rapp Motoren Werke AG merged. The first Mercedes were produced after the merger of Daimler-Motoren-Gesellschaft and Benz & Cie in 1926, while Audi was formed after founder August Horch was forced out of the company he started in 1899 to go on to form Audi, which subsequently went on to co-form Auto Union AG Deutschland Ingolfstadt.

Audi, Audi, Audi, i just love the cars, i have a bmw, and to be honest the Audi is so much better, so overall i vote Audi, as for Mercedes, my dad has one and while it's good, it's nothing special. So once again i vote Audi.

Guest RB26DETT
I voted for BMW, with Audi really close.

But just for the E46 M3 CSL. :)

yeeeeeeeah!!! another vote for the beemers! not a huge fan of the CSL though. hehe. i prefer the normal one with the 6 speed manual, since i can only drive a manual myself. :oook:

I have all 3 and the Mercedes doesn't compete with the Audi and the BMW.

The Audi is a brilliant all-rounder and will thrill and excite you every time you drive it, but the BMW awes you when you really want to race around country roads or a track.

I choose Opel :D

Oh wait Opel isn't up there :mad:.

BMW: Couldn't make a good looking car if they were given instructions in big neon lights !!!!!!!!!

Mercedes: Everyone talks about poor Merc reliability but you have gotta admit they have the most style out off all the German brands.

Audi: I like Audi but I sometimes think they are too boring with their designs which is a bad thing in todays very competitive market.

I gotta say Mercedes, unlike owning the BMW I wouldn't have to face the constant abuse that people give BMW drivers, it would be money well spent and last but not least I possibly wouldn't buy a Merc because I personally feel Opel, Cadillac & Saab make better looking cars than any of these three :D, but because I could only choose out of these three I had to choose Mercedes because of the above points.

Yeah GM rules :D !!!!!!!!!!!!