We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

English, Welsh, Scottish, Irish or BRITISH?

Who

What do you like to refer to your nationality as?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What do you like to refer to your nationality as?

• English
    • Irish
    • Scottish
    • Welsh
    • British
    • I have nothing to do with the discussion cause I am foreign, but if i see a poll i have to vote *fla

When asked your nationality, what do you refer to yourself as?

Not a long time ago, being a british citizen was something to be proud of, the union jack an icon of style around the world, just look at the mod culture, both The Who and The Jam proudly flaunted the colours, to name just two big bands. Recently however, pride in the UK's individual contries is very high, I dont know if it's just wales, but i have not seen a lone union jack in a very long time, its either accompanied by a welsh flag, or not there at all. If i were to ride across europe, I would have a union jack on my leathers (ok, it's allready there :thumbsup:)

Ofcourse, I love wales and i am proud to speak the language. the country is beautiful, but I don't feel at all 'holier than thou' if you come from England, or anywhere else. England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland have not really acheived anything individual, however Britain used to rule the world. Britain seems to lack its former unity, what do you all think?

Sorry mate but the Scots are a very proud bunch and they would say Scottish every time, that is not to say though that we don't class ourselves as British though as we do but most Scots will always respond Scot or Scottish, we're just a damn proud little country.

Also speak for yourself about Scotland not achieving anything, check some of the inventions our little inventors have come up with. :D

If someone on the internet asks me I say Manchester UK, if someone asked me down the pub what I class myself as I would say British. :) Most foreigners I know call me UK Person.. lol.

Also in your last poll option it says *flaps*, I get a feeling that was meant to say *faps* ? :p

I always say I'm English. If someone is Welsh or Scottish I refer to them as such. Americans tend to be the ones unable to differentiate between the three and go with British. Although that said most of them can normally identify a Scot, It seems if you're English they say you're British. No Idea what they make of Welsh people.

It depends on who is asking me. If Its someone I've met within Kent, I tell them my town's name. If I'm in a different county, I tell them Kent. If I'm in a foreign country, I tell them England or Britain (If its a British person in a foreign country I will tell them Kent too)

Although that said most of them can normally identify a Scot
I have been classed as Irish too many times to count, on GTA IV myself and an Irish guy pretend we are from Soviet Russia and weirdly enough some people believe us because of our accents. Ummm yeah! :rolleyes:

I have been classed as Irish too many times to count, on GTA IV myself and an Irish guy pretend we are from Soviet Russia and weirdly enough some people believe us because of our accents. Ummm yeah! :rolleyes:

I've been classes as Scottish more than I've been classed as Irish!

Lol, see I don't have that problem. I have a typical English accent, although a few very dense individuals have thought I was American.

I've been classes as Scottish more than I've been classed as Irish!

LMAO! So many American people I meet on live tell me how their grand parents are from Ireland yet when they meet one they think they're Scottish. :oook:

BRITISH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally I say I am British because I have a British passport, I am a British national, I haven't got an English passport or anything else for that matter that says I am English.

Although in 10 years time I hope to be a Canadian citizen :).

Well on all things official I put white british which is normally code number 93 and at the end of a long list followed by white I Irish then White other.

On all things Unofficiall i put English.

Wont be long until we are European instead of British or English and we'll have European passports.

Also twas thinking that when the news reports something good we are British regardless but when reporting something bad its either English/Scottish/Welsh/Irish.

Also twas thinking that when the news reports something good we are British regardless but when reporting something bad its either English/Scottish/Welsh/Irish.
It's the other way round for Sport though. Lewis Hamilton the Englishman today, David Coulthard the British driver when he was at McLaren.

Same with tennis, Henman was always the Englishman, Murray is the Brit. BBC should just name themselves the EBC, thank god J.Motson is gone from most games but of course he will reprise his role from some Internationals. Fair enough say "we" when the game is being broadcast in that country only, but nationally keep it impartial.

Oh yeah it always make me laugh how a surprisingly large amount of americans class St Paddy's day as theirs, sure it's true for a good few but when you ask some of them what St Paddy actually did, they're like "he's Irish", bravo. lol

It's the other way round for Sport though. Lewis Hamilton the Englishman today, David Coulthard the British driver when he was at McLaren.

Same with tennis, Henman was always the Englishman, Murray is the Brit. BBC should just name themselves the EBC, thank god J.Motson is gone from most games but of course he will reprise his role from some Internationals. Fair enough say "we" when the game is being broadcast in that country only, but nationally keep it impartial.

Oh yeah it always make me laugh how a surprisingly large amount of americans class St Paddy's day as theirs, sure it's true for a good few but when you ask some of them what St Paddy actually did, they're like "he's Irish", bravo. lol

One of the reasons why I hate ITV's F1 coverage soo much :mad:.

I do agree with you there nige (for once XD :D), ITV F1 = Hamilton, Hamilton, Oooh, and guess who? Hamilton.

I agree, they just go on and on and on. :(

And I class myself as English. I just do, don't think of being British.:)