We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

TopGear Season 15 chat - potential spoilers.

Ryzza5

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Downloading it now. Well, I was until my computer just restarted itself for an update. Who thought that to force restart the computer without me saving anything was a good idea? :fp:

I am looking forward to this quite a lot :D

Hehe - the Reliant Robin bit was very funny... predictable all the way, but still funny.

WU is one of the only things Windows 7 does worse, as far as automatic restarting goes (I did some tests the other day with an open an unsaved Word document. It rebooted without prompt or warning, however when it restarted it automatically opened Word and the autosaved/autorecover document. That doesn't work with uTorrent though) :)

Anyway, change your settings so that it asks you before downloading updates. ;)

Funny in parts, seriously annoyed me in others. They honestly need to stop wasting cars. Bull they couldn't sell the old Reasonably Priced Car, if it was because of the mechanicals being thrashed then so what? There's still loads of other parts to a car which can be made useful to other people.

Also, I know the Reliant Robin isn't the best of cars but yet again, it was one of the best examples of one I've seen condition-wise and they smashed it to bits for ten minutes of laughter (for some people), not to mention the other two which were crashed together. What a load of crap, they seriously need to stop doing this.

I'll get slated for this but it's something I see in this program time and time again and to be honest from my point of view segments like those two annoy me and dishearten me more than they make me laugh.

All they have to do is find a car which has already had a tough life and is ready for the scrap heap to crash and smash for ten minutes laughter and I'll be fine with it.

Money is corruption.

The Lacetti destruction I could understand; they wanted to send it off with a bang (do remember though that they have a few spare identical cars though, so I doubt they got rid of all of them.

Conti SS review was ok, just the usual Jezza review, although this did seem a bit more factual and technical than what we've come to expect recently.

James' Iceland trip: epic, but way too short. What he did on that volcano was truly amazing

Reliant Robins: well, the first roll out of the carpark was funny, even though it was very obviously intentional. Got tiring after that though. People on TG.com are all raving about how funny this film was and comparing it with the Peel one Jezza did a few years back, although I can't really see much comparison; this one is much worse. Heck, even Andy Wilman has acknowledged that what we want to see - the things that make TG great - are when the 3 of them are just being themselves and not trying too hard to be funny. The camaraderie they share will shine through and that's way more enjoyable than any scripted funnies

Oh, and the new SIARPC choice: I'm a bit underwhelmed actually... The Kia CeeApostropheDee isn't really that crap a car, and Kia have really improved by leaps and bounds in the last 2 years. I think a Proton would have been more appropriate, although TG Oz did nick that idea already...

Guys, despite the fact that TopGear is the most illegally downloaded show in the world, we can't tell others [how] to do this, just like how we wouldn't support those who don't buy TDU.

I on the other hand couldn't stop laughing at the Robin film. I don't think the Kia Cee'd is reasonably priced at all. I could get a new mid-range Mitsubish Lancer, Subaru Impreza, or Ford Focus for that money.

I changed my settings Ryzza, thanks ;) I think the Cee'd is not a good car either. 14,000 pounds is a lot. The Lacetti was cheaper and a much better car. Ryzza was right in saying you can afford an awesome car for that kind of money. I thought the reasonably priced car shouldn've been a Focus. 14,000 pounds is 24,295 AUD, 21,000 USD and 17,000 Euros. I also agree with everything Car Freak said. Their own producer is thinking the show is going downhill so why don't they listen to him and do something about it.

As for the show, it was good. Nothing more, nothing less.

As for the show, it was good. Nothing more, nothing less.

100% Agreed.

Considering the fact that during 8-9pm on a sunday evening I'd probably be bored, I enjoyed topgear and was rather entertained :) It was by no means anything I would rave about, But It's still one of my favourite, of not, my favourite TV series out there.

I don't mind them going back down the hill a little bit from when they were epic a few years ago. As long as they don't go all the way down the hill (i.e. stay on par as to where they were around Season 7) then I'm happy to keep watching. Of course, the end is defiantly in sight, but we at least have until their contracts expire in 2 years, which is another 3-5 seasons worth, which is about 32 episodes I guess).

I actually found it quite boring. Espsically the robin as soon as got in it and saw the turn I knew he was going to roll it. And everything in the bentley vid was totally un-needed like the clips with the boxer was just stupid. I think they need to go back to season 7-10 and stay there

Hmm they should go back to their epic roadtrips with a supercar each or their races across europe. I enjoy them much more than 10 minutes of crashing a Reliant Robin and a 10 minute clip of James going up a Volcano which could have been made into something so much better...

Even though Top Gear features much rucus and such, all the "stories" need plots. That's why the...

...races work (plot is pretty clear, so I won't go in depth with it)

...road trips work (we're always reminded of the destination and the goal of the trip, with amusing events and complications along the way)

...Jeremy's "Realistic Road Tests" work (the basis for the questions, whether the car is good in "simple" ways, has been established, and we can understand how it works).

...cheap car challenges work (we want to know if the cars will last, and the narrative follows that).

With the above-mentioned Reliant and James vs. the Volcano stories, the plot could've been conveyed better, leading to a more coherent and, therefore, amusing video.

-Leadfoot

The Volcano wasn't too terrible, but far too brief. The SIARPC was allright, although it does seem more like they're after something that will get them good footage, rather than something that is actually reasonably priced...

The Reliant bit was utter crap.

there ya go, watch from 3:20. that was essentially the whole segment compressed into 20 (actually funny) seconds.

Next they'll be doing a section on 50's landrovers, and how, if you turn really tightly, they also tip, or a segment on how you'll explode if you get rear ended in a ford pinto (please let jezza be driving for that...)

Creative use of concrete though, as reliants physically can't wheely under their own power

The Volcano one IMO wasn't meant to be intentionally funny, but was just one of those things (like Botswana, South America and the North Pole) that shows exactly what 4 wheels and an engine is capable of. Not hilarious, but genuinely gob-smacking. James is now something of a hero for me, and though he doesn't outwardly show it, he does have some very big plums indeed.

Finally, an episode where I have nothing to complain about! This, I felt, was an episode for all us petrolheads and TG purists. Nothing staged, nothing over the top, just the 3 of them being themselves.

I just can't help but think they missed a couple of opportunities though... 1 - they ought to have gone to the 'Ring instead, 2 - German Stig should've been Sabine Schmitz! :D

Also, do you think it was really James doing the powerslides in the Boxster Spyder?