We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Any one get the feeling that offroading could....suck?

gogators43

Here's my concern. Taking a look at the pictures of the Q7 covered in mud just looked strange. I'm worried that the cars they will give us to offroad in aren't really going to be offroad cars. I mean, real offroading kinda requires some ground clearance, and while your Q7s, Cayennes, and Touaregs probably have the same ground clearance as trucks...it's still not enough. That's why trucks are lifted so often. But you never see lifted Cayennes. My point is, (and correct me if I'm wrong) we kinda need trucks to offroad in. Or at the very least, lifting options for all SUVs. Don't get me wrong, I love those European SUVs, but more for on the road. And I'm sure they'll give us a Ram SRT10 and other street trucks, but thats just what they are...street trucks.

Bowler Nemesis FTW. Or the Mini Crossover Concept.

Seriously..The point is, we don't know almost ANYTHING about the game. And since it's Eden, we can't guess any cars either. Who's to say they won't add Lambos at all. And IF there are no good cars, Eden will most prolly release a DLC after the release christened "Ultimate Off-Road" or something with some 20 cars or so? Let's just pray for now.

I don't think trucks are the only option for serious offroading. I am 100% sure that cars like certain Land Rover SUV's and perhaps even a few of the line ML/X5 are just as capable of offroading, never mind even talking about classic Land Rovers and the Mercedes G-Class (Long wheelbase, Short wheelbase with 3 doors and Short wheelbase convertible). Being offroad-capable is not depending on solely ride-height. Also, I might be wrong, but those American pick-ups are very long and often very high, and that could get you in just as much trouble as a too low rideheight.

Also, did you see any difficult offroad tracks in TDU2 sofar? They are just retextured asphalt routes on which I'm sure sportscars will perform just as good as on the road, with the only difference being dirt and some more sliding.

I don't think trucks are the only option for serious offroading. I am 100% sure that cars like certain Land Rover SUV's and perhaps even a few of the line ML/X5 are just as capable of offroading, never mind even talking about classic Land Rovers and the Mercedes G-Class (Long wheelbase, Short wheelbase with 3 doors and Short wheelbase convertible). Being offroad-capable is not depending on solely ride-height. Also, I might be wrong, but those American pick-ups are very long and often very high, and that could get you in just as much trouble as a too low rideheight.

Also, did you see any difficult offroad tracks in TDU2 sofar? They are just retextured asphalt routes on which I'm sure sportscars will perform just as good as on the road, with the only difference being dirt and some more sliding.

You're right, I forgot to mention Land Rovers. They are pretty good off-road machines.

Good point, ride height isn't the only thing thats necessary, and I should've been clearer, but trucks have huge engines. Up to 100 horsepower more than European SUVs, not to mention chunkier tires with deeper treads. And the only truck thats especially long that I can think of is the SuperCab F-250/350, but its got such a huge diesel, its pretty safe off the road.

I suppose I'm thinking too much into the offroad aspect, and that it will be just gravel roads. Oh well...

I reckon that offroading will probably be more like a rally than anything else. I'm sure supercars will be able to drive the roads, but unless you have AWD and a decent set of tyres for the task, you won't be going very far very fast, or in anything resembling a straight line. In TDU off road is basically one surface with the grip turned down, and it was all teh same surface, a beach behaved like a field, which behaved like the side of a mountain etc. I'm imagining that this time around they'll define these surfaces more, and give them parameters as to what characteristics a vehicle has. (at the moment nothing has any character off road, to see what i mean, try and follow a path on a golf course in a mustang then try it again in an RS4, the difference is pretty negligible)

While ground clearance is a HUGE factor in offroading, how you drive is an even bigger factor. Taking the correct approach and running the correct lines through obstacles can make up for a lack of ground clearance, hence why I could take a stock Jeep Cherokee into the same (and sometimes more) places that the big lifted off road vehicles went when I used to go offroading with my friends when I was in college. Besides, from what I've seen in the trailers for TDU2, we won't need to worry too much about "real" off road performance, since the off road aspect seems to be nothing more than a texture, sound effect, and grip change from the on road aspect.

Like the previous posts, offroading in TDU2 is just driving off the asphalt textured roads and onto dirt textured roads. It's not that much like real offroading, where you drive on the grass/mud/etc. directly. Plus, if there really is a problem with offroading, I'm sure it adds to the list of reasons why the release date changed.

Also, you said something about changing car heights, maybe they're implementing this option into the game. Maybe, maybe not.

If I'm not mistaken, the intro video shows the rear wheel a bit deeper in the sand.. (although it might be just a ground elevation).

But Yes, greater differences in ground behaviours, IE beaches easily digging down spraying sand, field bog down, and generally (if only JUST emulated) varying unevenness in field/forests off road.

Also some real ditches would be good.

Sure we don't know much about what offroad cars there will be, but that said, we don't know a heck of a lot about the on-road cars that we'll have :lol:

I'm sure the offroading in TDU2 will be better than what TDU1 gave us, which can only be a good thing :)

Well as bad as the offroad in TDU1 was, no other game could match that, even Hard Truck 1 was more realistic in driving behaviour, dangers of tipping over ánd a better offroad feeling.

Let's hope they'll show us a special offroad trailer. Then again, let's hope we'll see anything new.

From what i've seen, the 'offroad' doesn't look quite like asphalt reskinned to look muddy (as people have said) IMO it looks more like a gravel stage in a rally, which I think will be done properly (Eden did V-Rally, they'll be able to pull off that sort of offroad fine) and as top gear showed, Soft roaders can handle that sort of terrain fine.

Obviously the dirt roads aren't going to be true 'mud chugging jeep or nothing' because, well, then theywouldn't be roads would they? :p

Although, thinking of it, they probably will be improving true offroad too, with the wrecks of cars exploration part, they will more than likely be promoting going wherever you feel like, and, given that the wrecks are something you will need to find if you want all the cars, they're probably going to make sure that exploring isn't a complete pain in the backside.

Oh, and incase anyone thinks the wrecks will be easy to find and will require no real thought... is the Eden Island teleporter something you would have found if you someone else didn't tell you about it? :p

I know first hand how near-impossible it was to reach the Vista-viewpoints in the landscape of Fuel (14.400 km², that's fourteen-thousand-four-hundred), and then to think those points were shown on a compass bar on the top of the screen. There were enough of them around so I think it's comparable to TDU2's 20 wrecks.

I think finding 20 wrecks on 2 big islands is going to be just as hard. Fuel made it harder because those points were nearly impossible to reach, TDU2 will make wreck-hunting hard as they won't show up on map or radar.

And to answer the question: nope, I would have never found the E myself, partially though since I did already know how stupid and hard it was to go offroad in TDU1. Didn't expect to be able to get up there.

Yeah, I had done plenty of offroading myself (mostly avoiding the police more than anything) :nuts: but I wouldn't have thought that I could drive up that massive cliff to where the e is. I hope they don't make wreck-finding in TDU2 too easy, and I don't want to see a list or map of locations showing up. I've got a good 3 years to find them all myself (hopefully the reward isn't too tempting for me to cheat).

Yeah, I had done plenty of offroading myself (mostly avoiding the police more than anything) :nuts:

At first I thought you meant in real life :o

But yeah, I can't picture any more than some retexturing and enlarged dust clouds for the offroading stuff, but who knows. Not like they've actually given us anything to go on...

• 2 weeks later...

First all,despite what every one seems to the think,the cayenne is in the same league as the range rover sport in terms of off roading,its not quiet as good,but it still has excellent off road prowess.Also ground clearance says little about and vehicles off road performance,for exapmle a Mercedes GL class has 11 inches of ground clerance,yet its nowhere near as off road capible as the Land Rover LR4,which only has 10 inches.How well a vehicle performs off road is baised on traction,where acticulation,locked or limited slip diffs,low range,and good tires all come into play.

Cayenne couldn't do that. Being good offroad is due to being designed to go offroad, and is not achieved by adding gismos to to an oversized car to justify a stupidly big school-run special having 4WD...

Great, now I want that level of detail for offroad in TDU2... curses

If the copilot could get oout of the car to help guide the driver on the tricky spots, and laugh if the driver falls back down a hill, that would be good. We've already been told that you can't get out of the car and walk around whereever you like, though.

Haha some mental ideas going in here, the spotter and lookout is a nice touch though. I feel though that some people are expecting a level of offroad that's not intended in this game, lift kits and such might be great for all out offroading and a game dedicated to it but this is just a game, an arcade-sim type game where fun and such is the main direction it's aiming for.

The concept art showed some good stuff but more like the Land Rover Challenge type stuff rather than the purpose built somewhat over the top craziness that the americans are famous for.