We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Preorders That Arrive Before Release Date

Speed

If you preorder a game and it comes early, when do you play it?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. If you preorder a game and it comes early, when do you play it?

• When it arrives.
    • Wait for release date.
    • Depends on the game.
    • I don't preorder games.

As many of you will know, when you preorder a game, sometimes it will arrive early.

The question I was wondering was, do you play it straight away?

I'm aware that certain big games, MW3 is immediately apparent, have strict rules applied to those who play early, but do all games?

I know there's probably an official source on this, but I was more looking for some actual gamers' opinions, so post away :)

Any new games that I get these days (for the PC) generally have some Release Date Checker thing on them, so on the off chance I do get a game before it's actually released I leave it. I don't know what happens if you do try and install a game before it's release day with one of these date checkers, but I prefer to just do these sorts of things by the book.

It really is dependent on what game it is and what way it's distributed. I mean if it's with GFWL or Steam I tend not to play it early using a VPN as I would rather be on the safe side and play it when it's released. If it's able to be played early and arrives early or it's a game on console then yes, I will play it early because I can. ;)

I don't think that getting it 2-3 days early should be punishable at all and if you get it even earlier say when the US gets it then fair beans. I hate the fact that Activision thought it fair to basically hunt and threaten people who legitimately got the game early through no fault of their own as to be honest the game is out about 2 weeks before release to make it's way through the distribution and someone in that line of work is always going to get it before everyone else so should they be punished for it? HELL NO! Now if this person uploads a rip or downloads an illegal copy then fair enough take them to the cleaners but if your local game shop sells it to help stay afloat and beat the big players by a day or 2 then so be it.

We're almost at a stage now where everything we do is controlled by those who should have literally no say in how we do these things should we come across these items and games legitimately through no fault of our own.

Also most online retailers have to send their stuff out 2-3 days before release to guarantee release date delivery, should they only be allowed to send out on release day then business will tank.

In terms of the Xbox, so long as the copy is a legitimate retail copy you will suffer no repercussions. Microsoft have made this clear, they have means and ways of telling pirate copies from retails and act accordingly. This is a platform wide rule, whether the game is huge or small. I have someone on my friends list who always has new games early, sometimes up to 10 days early and he's still here.

I play games as soon as they arrive, I was playing that TDU2 over a week before release date. lol.

I never pre-order games, why pay $120 for a game when it first comes when I can get it six months later for $70 - $80

maybe because a game can be really interesting, and you want it the day it comes out? and you want to be SURE that you have a copy ready, not that it is sold out or some

I never pre-order games, why pay $120 for a game when it first comes when I can get it six months later for $70 - $80
Fair point but also remember that many games now have bonuses for pre-ordering and even though some are a waste, there are others that are damn nice like BF3's FREE B2K Pack when it comes out in December.

Hell yeah!

Fair point but also remember that many games now have bonuses for pre-ordering and even though some are a waste, there are others that are damn nice like BF3's FREE B2K Pack when it comes out in December.

Hell yeah!

Plus add in all the leaderboard style challenges games come out with now. If you've played last years NFS Hot Pursuit, you'll have seen Autolog, a feature which compares your race times with that of your friends and encourages you to try to become the fastest therefore adding replay value to the game.

Then you've got rivals mode in Forza 4, which is all about competition amongst friends.

It all comes down to how much you enjoy online I guess, the week Forza 4 was released ~15 of my friends on XBL were playing it, whereas if I were to go on now, I would struggle to find 3 or 4.

6 months on, will there be anyone playing?