We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

EU to ban all modified cars...

calster17

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MrLolololXD

Which dipshat even thought this was a law that would pass? There's no way they could bring it in, it'd cost them a fortune to get modded cars off the road. I'm surprised it's even gotten this far...

Personally I don't think this law was created with the intention of actually taking modded cars off the road. I think this was planned to see the general public's reaction, possibly leading up to something else.

---------- Post added at 5:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:34 PM ----------

Also what Timbud said about AMG/Merc is true :nods:

That won't pass. There were lots of stupid proposals that we even don't know them and never passed. But there are also lots of stupid laws that passed, so... kill the EU with fire.

Those people, who sit in Brussels, don't know about the normal life/cars etc. nothing. They just drink coffee, clapp their hands, get fat and have a big salary.

Yeah, this is't a local by the national Government (reading a few comments on the last page it seemed like some people were thinking this), it's the EU that want to. The Government that the average person has no say in near enough(other than getting to vote in MEP's, that half the time do nothing). Same group of people who said the Mazda RX8, Ford Focus ST, Euro Honda Civic Type-R and the Lotus Elise(the old 1.8) are too un-eco friendly!

Really hope it doesn't get passed! if so I'm moving to Utah!

Guest MrLolololXD

Good. I hope they all follow you to America, the last thing Australia needs are chavs in riced Saxo's (not saying you are one :))

Thing is though, AMG don't build them from scratch, whereas a Golf GTi is.

Obviously you missed a point here. You can buy an AMG from the factory, which would rule out the modifying rule, as you bought it like that.

Same goes with BMW Motorsport, Seat FR/Cupra, Audi S/RS etc.

If this law passes, I'll move to Switzerland when I'm 18 :cheeky:

Seriously though, it will be impossible for the police to check all cars on modifications.

Exterior mods would be easy to check, but some interior, or engine mods will be quite hard to notice.

That's why I think this law won't get passed, as there must be anyone against this nonsense.

Guest MrLolololXD

You may be able to purchase them from the Mercedes dealer, but, AMG takes Mercedes' cars and tunes them, they are modified cars, there's no getting around that fact. It doesn't matter if you bought it like that brand new, they have been modified from the original specifications.

In the event something like this passes, there will probably be a huge buyout of ECU chips prior to it going into effect. Anything undetectable visually will occur; in the US, catless vehicles are banned, but I personally know a plenty of people who run catless, and plenty of shops that certify them.

You may be able to purchase them from the Mercedes dealer, but, AMG takes Mercedes' cars and tunes them, they are modified cars, there's no getting around that fact. It doesn't matter if you bought it like that brand new, they have been modified from the original specifications.

It does matter - that's the whole issue. There's a reason the types of modifications in question are called "aftermarket" parts; you buy them post-purchase, after the market. If Mercedes sells an AMG car to its first owner, that car is stock. In other words, it is as it came from the factory. Once the owner chips it, gets bigger wheels, lowers it, etc., then it becomes after market.

Shelby's the same deal in America. You can walk into a Ford dealer and ask for a 650 horsepower, 200-mph GT500, and Ford will sell it to you with a warranty, even though it's build differently than the normal Mustang.

Here's the kicker, though: the reason they don't count as modified cars is because they have to pass the same crash tests, the same emissions tests, and the same miscellaneous certifications as any other model in the range (or, at the very least, they are deemed similar enough by the government to have lesser models satisfy that requirement).

Yes, they are modified, but so is a Civic hybrid. What they aren't is aftermarket.

-Leadfoot

False. AMG doesn't take a Benz and tunes it. They build there own cars on a Mercedes body. Nothing tuned about that. How an AMG leaves the factory, that is the original specification.

Guest MrLolololXD

Once all of you have worked on these cars, repaired them and ordered new parts from both Mercedes and AMG, I might start to believe you, until then, I will stick with what I have learnt after doing all of these things personally.

Once all of you have worked on these cars, repaired them and ordered new parts from both Mercedes and AMG, I might start to believe you, until then, I will stick with what I have learnt after doing all of these things personally.
meanwhile-in-australia.jpg

So what is this about. AMG = Mercedes. Mercedes = AMG. They are not in the same factory, but they are "one". It's not that Mercedes give AMG an E320 and AMG "tune" it to an AMG. They build their own car, which goes through crash testing and stuff.

So they are not tuned.

It doesn't specify aftermarket though.

Modified from original first registration spec. So that could also include changing the paint and adding a tow hitch or even different wheels. It all just depends where and how they draw the line.

Otherwise the AMG (et al) guys will be screwed because they take an original car and modify the engine, exhaust, suspension, brakes, body etc.

Modified from original first registration spec. So that could also include changing the paint and adding a tow hitch or even different wheels. It all just depends where and how they draw the line.

Otherwise the AMG (et al) guys will be screwed because they take an original car and modify the engine, exhaust, suspension, brakes, body etc.

But with an AMG, the 'original first registration spec' of the car would already include the modifications, no? You don't buy, say, a C200 and then a month later ask AMG to put the 6.2 V8 in it, which would then not be the 'original first registration spec'. (I haven't read the actual links in the first post so idk)

Anyways I hope to god this doesn't pass cuz I need a Techart + Capristo Cayman in my life at some point LOL

Nope. AMG develops its own gearbox, engines, brakes etc. The body comes from MB factory without the parts that AMG replaces (bumpers, quarters, powertrain etc.). If you order an E63, Mercedes doesn't make an E200, send it to Affalterbach and guys there take off the original parts and replace them.

Brabus, Kleemann, Carlsson are aftermarket companies. Just my 2 cents.

The solution is brands offer all kinds of modifications. Make an alliance with tuning parts brands and offer as customizations. :lol: jokes.

Or, screw that stupid law... the car is yours, you should be able to do whatever you want. You have to respect traffic laws, not what i should or shouldn't do with something that is mine, or yours. You understood me.

AMG wont have a problem, same with M-Sport, Abrath and such. Think Alpina would as well, since thats kinda like AMG.

RUF would be fine as well, as due to German law RUF's haven enough parts to make them non porsche's.

It's more people such as Novitec Rosso and such that arnt official.

Although if you got a car modded befour it was registered, would that count? surely there'll be loopholes and such.