We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

BBC Top Gear [It's back!]

Andreas¹

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They only dropped Clarkson, not the show. In fact they want to renew it. Unless you mean of course Clarkson was all Top Gear was and is, then ok yeah, I see why you would think that.

I'd say that he makes made up a hell of a lot of what made TopGear TopGear, though Hammond and May brought things to the table too, they worked well as a trio. I'm sad he's sacked but I also think it's the right decision, I hope the producer's life can go back to relative normalness now on another TV show.

I do believe this might be the end of TG as the often great show we'll remember it to be, I have absolutely no trust in the BBC finding a decent replacement. I'm not Chris Evan's biggest fan but he's a huge car nut and already has a large career in broadcasting so I wouldn't see it as him trying to get himself more ££ or limelight if he took the position, however I can't say the same about all the other names being thrown around.

Full BBC Report of the incident.

On 9 March 2015, Jeremy Clarkson reported to BBC management that he had been involved in a physical and verbal incident with Oisin Tymon, the producer of Top Gear, at the Simonstone Hall Hotel, North Yorkshire, whilst working on location. The incident had occurred on 4 March 2015 and Jeremy Clarkson was suspended on 10 March, pending investigation.

I was asked to undertake an investigation to establish the facts of what occurred. In conducting my investigation, in line with the BBC’s usual practice, I interviewed a number of witnesses and others connected with the incident. Accounts were agreed, based on my interviews, with each participant.

Having conducted these interviews and considered the evidence presented, I conclude the following: on 4 March 2015 Oisin Tymon was subject to an unprovoked physical and verbal attack by Jeremy Clarkson. During the physical attack Oisin Tymon was struck, resulting in swelling and bleeding to his lip. The verbal abuse was sustained over a longer period, both at the time of the physical attack and subsequently.

Specific facts I have found as part of my investigation are as follows:

• earlier on 4 March, studio recording of Top Gear had taken place in Surrey and the presenters had travelled that same evening to the location shoot in North Yorkshire;
  • the incident occurred on a patio area of the Simonstone Hall Hotel, where Oisin Tymon was working on location for Top Gear;
  • the physical attack lasted around 30 seconds and was halted by the intervention of a witness;
  • it is the case that Oisin Tymon offered no retaliation;
  • the verbal abuse was directed at Oisin Tymon on more than one occasion – both during the attack and subsequently inside the hotel – and contained the strongest expletives and threats to sack him. The abuse was at such volume as to be heard in the dining room, and the shouting was audible in a hotel bedroom;
  • derogatory and abusive language, relating to Oisin Tymon and other members of the Top Gear team, continued to be used by Jeremy Clarkson inside the hotel, in the presence of others, for a sustained period of time;
  • it is clear that Oisin Tymon was shocked and distressed by the incident, and believed that he had lost his job;
  • following the attack, I understand that Oisin Tymon drove to a nearby A&E department for examination;
  • over the subsequent days, Jeremy Clarkson made a number of attempts to apologise to Oisin Tymon by way of text, email and in person; and
  • it is the case that Jeremy Clarkson reported the incident to BBC management.

It was not disputed by Jeremy Clarkson or any witness that Oisin Tymon was the victim of an unprovoked physical and verbal attack. It is also clear to me that Oisin Tymon is an important creative member of the Top Gear team who is well-valued and respected. He has suffered significant personal distress as a result of this incident, through no fault of his own.

Sauce: Full text of BBC's statement into Jeremy Clarkson 'fracas' | Media | The Guardian

It sounds like Jeremy needs help to be honest, after his divorce, the amount of alcohol he drinks, this attack and being sacked by what essentially is his vocation, he'll need strong support to come out the other side of this in one piece, he's still in his 50s afterall. I'm by no means trying to find an excuse for what happened with the producer, but such a quick and extreme snap in character makes me think he had a breakdown.

It also looks like the producer didn't report it maybe for fear of who Clarkson was, I mean I know Clarkson was the one who brought it up and tried to apologise to the producer via text and such but it looks like Oisin was of the opinion he had already lost or would lose his job.

God don't go to Sky, they're evil and steal everything! I'd rather they went to somewhere like Dave, I mean they already show plenty of TG so why not add new episodes to the list?

And since Clarkson's not going to be there, May and Hammond won't be, so they'd have to find 3 new presenters, which would kill TG stone dead. As sad as it is, they should just leave it... all good things have to end I suppose.

Sky will snap him (them) up, Murdoch will be rubbing his hands in glee at this whole situation. I'd like to see a BTCC driver replace Clarkson personally. Then again to truly replace Jeremy you can't have someone who knows how to drive a car properly.

Really sad news... :( I still got some tiny hope to see Top Gear on another channel or the BBC regrets it's decision but more the days pass, more it's becoming utopia. I can't realize what's going on and I still think we will see Top Gear in the next few months. Hard to believe.

I was also hoping for the battle between the Trio Hybrid Hypercars but now it's going to be impossible to see all three fighting...

I wish the full report would hurry up and come out so crap like this wouldn't be aimed at the guy without anyone knowing what actually happened.

Well if his nibs had some hot food then he wouldn't have had such a paddy.

I do think the producer dropped the ball (albeit a very tiny ball), but it just seems it was poorly timed after a long tiring day for everyone.

;)

The producer is a whiny little cow, apparently may is leaving too and I don't see hammond sticking around.

I don't approve hitting people, what JC did was definitely wrong but I still don't dislike him. I know I can be pretty damn bad myself when I'm hungry so I can definitely relate. It's just sad that it had to end like this :( One thing that gives me hope though is that May and Hammond seem to be quitting as well which could mean a new show for the three of them on a different channel :nods: