We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Yes I feel for the need for speed!

Eudemon

Nope not the drivel that EA do nowadays, no I'm talking about my broadband speed, Virgin Media announced last year they were implementing upgrades to their L customers which started in January. Well they've finally done my area and I have to say they did a good job !!

2ir65ht.gif

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ and I selected New York being it's on the East Coast and thus closest to us.

Also if your area has been completed make sure you unplug your modem for 30 seconds to reboot it and then goto http://192.168.100.1 and then click on Login, follow the standard instructions then click Operation Config to see what you are connected to the UBR at.

Oops sorry it's only L that's being upgraded at the moment. XL is due for an upgrade at the end of 2008/start 2009.

http://speedcheck.ispconnect.co.uk

The best to use for the UK.

I agree, if you want to find out nothing about your connection. That site shows your speed at the very split second it starts downloading resulting in a very high result, also high speeds will be shown afterwards due to the caching. Speedtest.net and that new place I found are the best choices imo.

There is another text based one that is very accurate but I can't remember where it is.

Honestly though the best way to test your speed is to download a relatively large file from a fast server. A good example is where VM ask you to try when you're having issues: http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com

When your download speed starts to stable, note it then multiply it by 8 and there you have a very close to actual.

So cmm's 80Kb/s a second is 600Kb or a 512Kb perhaps.

Kaching !

jua54l.gif

1186 * 8 = 9488 (10Mb)

Is it just me, or does the title make it sound like Diablo wants to do the unmentionable with Speed? :eek:

ewwww, now you mention it, it does. ewwwww

And it is good being able to download at high speeds, i want mine to go faster now for some reason even though I already hit about 2550 when downloading from dedicated servers

I used to have TalkTalk as my provider on a 2mb line, they were so bad, when I went to do a SpeedTest, it failed to do that!

Now I have better internet. Still only 2mb I get like 200-300 kbs download speed.

I can;t get higher than 2mb because I live in countryish.

281252341.png

Guest RB26DETT
Mines suppose to be 2MB with virgin and everything is sooo slow and apparently im getting 25kbps according to one of those test things! youtube plays faster than it loads so i have to let it load!

i suggest calling your provider asap that you're not getting the right bandwith speed. a friend of mine had the same experience.

i think it might be the router, im not 100% ive changed the settings so it only lets the computers in my house on just incase someone was leeching. im gonna try feeding the modem straight in to test if its the router. but i think your probraly right and virgin need a call