We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Test Drive Unlimited servers will NOT be going offline from 2011

CLR-GTR

UPDATE: Atari confirm rumour as FALSE

EDIT:

Reports have been floating around the 'net that Atari would be shutting off the servers for the first Test Drive: Unlimited game as early as January of 2011, presumably to make way for the open world racing game's sequel. But Atari tells Joystiq that the rumors are blatantly untrue -- "they are not dropping the servers at all," a representative told us this afternoon. The rep said that it's possible that French developer Eden Games may be moving the servers in some way, but anything like that would make no difference for players of the game at all.

So keep on driving, Test Drivers -- your virtual O'ahu isn't going anywhere.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/07/09/rumorong-test-drive-unlimited-servers-not-going-offline-next-ye/

ORIGINAL POST:

I think it was mentioned somewhere already, now TDU-Central has an article on it:

Achtung: Online-Modus verfügbar bis Januar 2011!

Warning: Online-mode available untill January 2011!

To our regrets we have received bad news early this week, but you might have heared this already. Now it's official that the server will be shut off in January 2011, this goes for all platforms.

tdu2-40.png

This is mentioned on the box-art of the TDU1 Green Pepper Edition (german budget-edition) and is being confirmed by other websites as it has been confirmed on box-art, which will spread more and more.

A statement from Atari's side has not yet been given, but unpleasant news is announced with little joy.

This action will enhance the switch-over to TDU2. Hopefully they will also actually release it then, or we'll have nothing at all.

A possibility to obtain a networkcode to keep the server running by the community, is very unlikely. To reach this, a severe action will have to be held like petitions etc.

It is not known yet if online accounts can be used further. After all, without the serverconnection there's no real use so players will be limited to offline accounts.

Now it's to hope that TDU2 will be a worthy successor and may TDU rest in peace.

*A mod could move this to the general TDU1 news section, I am no staffmember so I can't start threads there.

I can understand this relating to the PC version but for Xbox I'm not so sure. If true then TDU2 basically includes TDU within it anyway so I doubt many will complain and for those wanting a try at something akin to TDU I would be willing to bet there would be a demo available anyway.

Well, it's to be expected. But we'll be having too much fun with TDU2 to really notice.

The advantage for some of us is that with the game unsupported, we could theoretically make all sorts of crazy mods (super-realism, new areas). But for now, let's all enjoy the online!

-Leadfoot

Hehe - now people will be asking how to convert online profiles into offline ones :cheeky:

We all knew this day would come, and I don't mind since O'ahu is in TDU2.

Can you? Tell me! Tell me! Tell me!

:jk:

On Topic: I think it's really a shame the servers will go offline. I'll defenently buy TDU2, but TDU will always stay an option for me(if I don't have the money):p

if, in TDU2 the physics haven't been ruined, and the engine sounds are decent enough, i shouldnt need to worry about TDU anymore anyway

yes it'll be a shame to see it "die", lots of memories that i share with all my atari forums buddies, and a few guys here too, but with most of what TDU had being included in TDU2, losing the original shouldn't have a long term effect on me...i got all my pics :cheeky:

*prepares claiming to get sources of TDU server*

TDU is clearly the best showroom for 3D modelers, modders. Let's get a chance to keep it alive and have fun forever...

I'm waiting for official announcement though :oook:

As much as it probably won't affect me, especially with TDU2, it will still be a sad thing to see, but it's an inevitability I guess :/

Hehe - now people will be asking how to convert online profiles into offline ones :cheeky:

Iced Bullet did a hex-editing tut on that ages ago, just point them to the search button :cheeky:

By the way, why don't we have a :/ smiley yet?

This is the objective for Atari not for the community. They have to make sure that the online profiles can be used as offline profile.

But Atari had made a fallback and supposedly the servers should only move. But this means that the Green Pepper Customers are treated in a other way and there keys will be disabled again from Online Play? But this means also that Atari had the possbility to disable the keys from cheater.

Make your own opinion but i think the Server will go down if TDU 2 is a success or there will be only a small server left for TDU 1.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/07/09/rumorong-test-drive-unlimited-servers-not-going-offline-next-ye/

Its the next demonstration that a strong community can change things.

Personally i think its a money making thing more than anything!

Most people in the TDU community will be getting TDU2 but doing this means they can force the rest of us to get it!

Also thats a short time to keep the survers on...BF2142's ones are still up and running and thats 5 years old now!(ok, one is run by EA, but its still a point)

Anyways this doesn't effect me as ever since i got BT internet, it would't let me play TDU online! But its a shame really!

UPDATE:

Reports have been floating around the 'net that Atari would be shutting off the servers for the first Test Drive: Unlimited game as early as January of 2011, presumably to make way for the open world racing game's sequel. But Atari tells Joystiq that the rumors are blatantly untrue -- "they are not dropping the servers at all," a representative told us this afternoon. The rep said that it's possible that French developer Eden Games may be moving the servers in some way, but anything like that would make no difference for players of the game at all.

So keep on driving, Test Drivers -- your virtual O'ahu isn't going anywhere.

I find it funny, a official package(from Atari confirmed) is just a rumour and if Atari is fooling the community again and again and again and again and is saying: No no this was just a joke, then its a news.

We will see, the last word isnt spoken. ;)

Well Atari Germany (or was it Microsoft Germany) are usually first for info but it tends to change afterwards. Remember the whole DLC leaked leaflet, and the DLC pack that changed and such. Don't get me wrong they are a worthy source but things tend to change once they've announced it. lol

And it's official from Atari so doubting it would be stupid don't you think? They might just be doing damage control sure but they have come out and said no the servers aren't shutting down in January 2011, that doesn't mean they won't be coming down shortly afterwards but January 2011 is not the date for it.

Yeah and thats then the same episode with the patch thing:

- Patch leaked

- Atari: no its not the official patch

- some weeks later Atari: okay it was the patch, sorry

So they fooling the people again, if they shutdown the server in february or later.

TDU 2 is the last big game with which they can make a lot of money after the bad numbers with Star Trek Online and Champions Online but not with this bad behaviour against the community.

And up to now there is no official information, that its true what joystiq had written.

But what we have is a package which you can buy, where a information is, that you can play this version until Jan/2011.

Why they should print such information without confirmation of Atari?

If its untrue then they had just leave it.

I hope Atari itself will tell something but that will never happen, how so often.

Dont know what you mean with your first part, but there is no Atari in Europe, its only Atari US and Namco Bandai makes the distribution for Atari SA (in France) in Europe.