We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Transmission discussion

RX_37

Which transmission do you drive most atm?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which transmission do you drive most atm?

• Manual (H shifter)
    • Standard automatic
    • CVT
    • Dual-Clutch (i.e. DSG, Powershift)
    • Other
    • Don't drive yet

Fair enough, in a car like a Ferrari or a Lambo i could stretch to drive an auto, but that has paddles still so it's not as horrifying, you do have some control over that still. But in a regular everyday car, no.

And i see there are VW fanboys here defending the DSG box in all their might. And honestly, i've driven a Golf R with that box and i wasn't impressed. It was worse than i thought it would be. It's just like any other auto box..... No need to lift it up to the skies for that.

And again you're all missing the point. Being stuck in a traffic jam and being happy about your auto at that particular moment isn't the pinnacle of driving a car now is it?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well rx sad for you in 2015 traditional manual car production will stop all together so you better start collecting now xD

as I recall again while driving might be the best thing to do most of us don't live in race tracks or alps , that's why we need comfort rather than driving pleasure most of the time and a non-manual clutch gearbox could give 80% of the thrills without its drawbacks in the traffic mostly. The car isn't driving you because after all it's just a tool to lift up the gears from each other , it's hardly a matter of life or death for me. As much as you drive auto or dsg you will start to enjoy them. To me it seems like you haven't spend much time in them. Or you don't have any traffic jams in where you live. And it is understandable if so because you don't know how torturing it is to sit in a jam for 2 hours.

well rx sad for you in 2015 traditional manual car production will stop all together so you better start collecting now xD

as I recall again while driving might be the best thing to do most of us don't live in race tracks or alps , that's why we need comfort rather than driving pleasure most of the time and a non-manual clutch gearbox could give 80% of the thrills without its drawbacks in the traffic mostly. The car isn't driving you because after all it's just a tool to lift up the gears from each other , it's hardly a matter of life or death for me. As much as you drive auto or dsg you will start to enjoy them. To me it seems like you haven't spend much time in them. Or you don't have any traffic jams in where you live. And it is understandable if so because you don't know how torturing it is to sit in a jam for 2 hours.

No i haven't driven that much auto boxes, but i just don't like it when i do. And we don't have traffic jams here and i don't think i've ever been in one much longer than 15 min tops.

Automatic means the car is driving you, not you driving the car. To really enjoy driving you need to be all connected to the vehicle, not just sit along for the ride doing nothing.

I don't enjoy driving in a city anyway. Driving a manual doesn't make it any better then :lol:

Umm yeah if I'm going to be spending 5 digits worth of my money on a car I'm not going to base it solely on the 5% of the time where I'm driving at its pinnacle, I'm going to go for the best all-round option. If I lived in Finland then maybe that would be a different story. I'm not trying to impress you or anyone else who loves their MT, because frankly that's somewhat impossible :p

Who really cares? You'll all be driving paddle shift cars in the end anyway, Audi/VW are taking the first steps to ensure that. If I had the money for a fast car I'd spec it, but wouldn't bother on hot hatches or euro boxes tbh, your money is better invested elsewhere.

I don't have my driving license yet, but I've driven automatics (66 mustang and a jeep, both V8's) and 2 with manual transmissions, madza 3 (lol) and my dad old jeep with also a V8, and automatic is just too easy. In my opinion young people should start learning with automatics to learn how to drive on public roads and later on switch to manual transmissons, it is just so much fun! That's why I'll replace my automatic gearbox with a 4speed manual:)

I've driven auto's and manuals, and I'm a manual person all the way!

I drove a auto Volvo on the A93(Aberdeen to Glenshee), and it just was't feeling it...the road which is normally so fun was a bore. maybe it's because I've always drove that road in manuals. but i like the feel of being in control of the , whether I'm wanting to thrash it along a road, or being eco(hahaha) and puting it into 5th while in a long 30mph zone! and driving long distance down a motorway/duel-carriageway? a doddle, once in 5th just leave it there while doing 70mph(and ONLY 70, would never go faster:lol: )

Although I'm not going to bash about it, I'm lucky enough to have lots of good roads just outside where I live, and the mountain roads within 50 miles reach! And traffic in Aberdeen is nothing compared to other places.

Havant tryed paddle shifts or anything else yet, but will be soon. But was told by a friend who get a Ferrari F430 for a weekend(Birthday present) said he still prefers a traditional manual.

Ryzza, just to keep things balanced.. can you actually drive a manual car? I only ask as your car history that I am aware of is all auto's and you're very defensive of your DSG gearbox. It's not an attack on you (although you will inevitably see it as one) I would have just expected this thread to come from someone who uses or has used both.

I learnt in a manual Mitsubishi Starwagon (van) on my L's for 2 years and my first car (for a short time) was a manual 1985 Ford Telstar Ghia 2.0 litre. So yes, I can drive manual, but haven't done so in roughly 5 years since getting the auto Corolla and DSG Golf. I did borrow my brother's manual Hyundai Getz for a week when I was getting some work done on the Corolla a a bit over a year ago as well. If I were to jump into a manual tomorrow, sure I'd probably stall it a couple of times, but would get used to it fairly quickly I'd imagine. Every car is different, etc, etc.

Is the DSG perfect? No - because it's a manual with a computer controlled clutch (2 of them), low speed start/stop driving under 20kph can sometimes be jerky, but the only "defensive" speech is just making sure others know it's not a normal automatic with 'tiptronic' selection, like my parents BF Series 2 Ford Falcon, for example. For the most part you get the benefits of manual and the benefits of auto together. I think manual is great for pleasurable driving, but just isn't my favourite option the other 80% of the time. Auto tends to be easier to sell when the time comes as well.

I'll start this with the fact that YES, I can drive manual- a little. My father's mitsubishi magna is the only manual car we own, and everyone I know (dad included) thats so much as touched it tells me its an absolute bitch to drive, and is not a good example of a manual gearbox. I drove it for a bit, and just straight up gave up because it was too hard (about 6 months into the first stage of license-holding here in Australia- you are to be instructed and supervised by a fully licensed driver at all times while operating the vehicle, and can not exceed 80 km/h) Fast forward another 5 months, I gave manual another go in a brand new Yaris, with a driving instructor. Pretty much no problems whatsoever, did a few hill starts no problem and was wondering why everyone said it was hard.

My current license (provisional 1, followed by provisional 2, then full) is for auto only, so I'm stuck with auto for now. I have no real issue with driving auto, its still fun. I do have issues with manual elitists. What is the problem- why cant we drive what we want to drive, instead of 'having a magical connection with the car through the gearbox', get over yourself buddy.

/endrant

What is the problem- why cant we drive what we want to drive, instead of 'having a magical connection with the car through the gearbox', get over yourself buddy.

This is pretty much the first thought that went through my head when the whole discussion started really. It's basically the same as people liking different music, clothes, games, whatever. That's what they choose to do/use/like and you don't have a control over it so just ignore it.

Wall of text

That's fair, I'm quite happy with manual, although as previously stated if I had the money for something fast I'd certainly consider a semi auto box. The jerkiness at low speed is an issue but they are getting better and better.

so I'm stuck with auto for now. I have no real issue with driving auto, its still fun.

Except you can't legally drive either of the cars in your sig. :3 /troll

Manual or Auto, it's still better than the bus!

Not really experienced the jerky changes at low speed. It's only ever happened a few times to me and it wasn't too noticeable. Hope the new one isn't bad. :eek:

Keep in mind I've loaded new ECU software and fitted a sprint booster pedal adapter (changes accelerator sensitivity) - this was to combat some 'lag' in the go pedal as described on the forums for that car. It's not such a big issue in the 6-speed wet clutch DSG gearboxes as it is in my 7 speed dry-clutch, but then I don't have to pay $1200+ every 60,000kms to get the gearbox oil changed ;)

I can easily change to stock at any time (choose ECU program before starting the engine, and can change pedal sensitivity at any time while driving as long as I'm not touching the accelerator). The SprintBooster is awesome in combination with the supercharger (almost instant acceleration even with a soft throttle input on the highest setting).

Everyone who reads about these things always says 'just push the throttle in further', but it's something you have to experience to understand. If I got a new car I'd be looking for another ones of these within a week (depending on what car I got).

The only people who don't really like these (ironically) are those who drive manual cars, as it messes with their heel'n'toe and the friction point changes.

My car is hardcore, it's got a manual 5-speed gearbox, no ABS, no airbags, and just old school hydraulic power steering.

It also has proper old-school turbo diesel power delivery, i.e. lots of black smoke with nothing happening, then suddenly RAWR! Wheelspin in 3rd gear in the wet. :D

Oh yeah, I'm working at an abandoned papermill right now (huge site) and it had a dusting of snow this morning, lift-off oversteer is fun!

My car is hardcore, it's got a manual 5-speed gearbox, no ABS, no airbags, and just old school hydraulic power steering.

It also has proper old-school turbo diesel power delivery, i.e. lots of black smoke with nothing happening, then suddenly RAWR! Wheelspin in 3rd gear in the wet. :D

Oh yeah, I'm working at an abandoned papermill right now (huge site) and it had a dusting of snow this morning, lift-off oversteer is fun!

Not hardcore enough :D Mine's 4 speed and no power steering at all!

I dont have my license yet but I have driven both Auto and manual Auto is relaxed an easy to drive and the manual hurts your leg pushing the clutch down all the time, but I guess thats what you get when you are driving around a field. I am going to learn to drive in a manual though, otherwise I will have "Automatic Only" written on the back of my license.

You need to start working out if pressing a clutch a few times hurts your leg. I've driven manuals for 4 years now and only on 1 or 2 days of that time i felt a little strained in my leg and that was while driving the company Toyota Hiace with a heavy duty work clutch all day with a lot of stops everywhere. Not even once in a normal car.

Here is the problem with today's kids that i'm worried about in the future. Everyone is too lazy to do anything themselves anymore. So everyone relies on tech to do everything for them.

Read this (with comments) and you'll know what i mean: The secret danger of safety technology

When has anyone crashed because they were driving an auto instead of a manual? Auto's have been around for decades? Sure, stuff like radar-guided cruises control and lane-assist aren't at all necessary, but this isn't being discussed here.