We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Had a Bad Day? Post Your Story Here

"Hedge"

Having a complete nightmare with my internet connection at the moment. Not sure if it's the router(s) I've used or what. I've been using a NetGear router for several years, but lately it just seems to like dropping the internet connection when no devices in the house are using it. I've resolved this by simply doing the tech-support classic of switching it off and on again and that has worked, but since Wednesday this week that no longer works. My phone still picks up the router over wifi, the computer connects to the router by cable, but there's no internet access.

I thought maybe the router was a bit worn out as it's turned on 365 days a year, so I swapped it with a brand new router which has shamefully been sat around in the garage doing nothing for a couple of years (Zoom X6). It's been a battle to get this thing to connect to the internet as well, obviously I'm online now, but I've been playing with the Zoom for almost a day now and it's only connected to the internet twice. The download/upload speeds are almost identical to what I had when the NetGear router was working. I've got a NetGear switch thing as well which I disconnected as a test and that had no effect. Swapped the old filter with a new one, no effect. It just seems completely random (and not in favour of connecting) when it actually gains internet access.

Some networking person will probably read this and lol/call me an idiot, but I've only ever had to mess about with routers once which was when I first got the NetGear router and that was easy to set up the wireless and passwords and port forwarding so I'm not exactly an expert on it. Problem is the NetGear router won't even let me access it's router settings so I can have a look to see if there's anything untoward there.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was the router over heating, I have a Linksys one that sometimes does and then the WiFi devices stop seeing it (I have two routers and 3 switches at home so it doesn't affect everything). I've had some issues with Netcomm devices, but since buying the most expensive Netgear router (D6300) I can say you really do get what you pay for, even if it's not discernable by feature list. Quality, speed are much better, and no downtime.

Maths exam went dreadful, didn't understand how to do half the questions, all worth big marks too. This will bring my overall grade down and make it even less likely i'll get into Uni. :(

I'm sure you did fine mate, don't feel bad before you even have the results back as anything is possible :)

Was the router over heating, I have a Linksys one that sometimes does and then the WiFi devices stop seeing it (I have two routers and 3 switches at home so it doesn't affect everything). I've had some issues with Netcomm devices, but since buying the most expensive Netgear router (D6300) I can say you really do get what you pay for, even if it's not discernable by feature list. Quality, speed are much better, and no downtime.

I don't think the Netgear router was overheating. Whatever the problem is, it stops internet access through any medium, WiFi or cable makes no difference. This PC is connected straight into the back of the router by a cable, where-as my phone and iPad are obviously connected wirelessly, but literally no device can access the internet. All devices pick up the router, but there's no internet access. This is why I swapped to a different router as a test because I thought maybe something was up with the Netgear router, but this new one isn't much better.

Maths exam went dreadful, didn't understand how to do half the questions, all worth big marks too. This will bring my overall grade down and make it even less likely i'll get into Uni. :(

I know the feel, been like 2 years since i sat my exams(know Scottish system different from English) but I did rubbish in mine, i'm sure you'll have done good in yours! :D

-

not really bad as such..but I gotta go to edinburgh tomorow on the train...and with a hang over...public transport..yayaysd

Went with my mum to Frenchay hospital today to admit her before she has a difficult/long head operation (up to 8 hours) tomorrow morning. 14 days in hospital after if it all goes well, then she can go home, then up to a further 10-12 weeks off work doing as little as possible to recover properly.

Pretty tough leaving her there is an understatement as I could see she was getting upset as I was leaving...

I finally realized that happiness will most likely not ever be a factor in my life again. I'm irreparably hideous, have no social skills, will always be poor with a crappy job, and since I'll be miserable from all those things, it'll be a never-ending cycle. :mhmm:

^ Applies to me a bit, haha. Hideous? Send me your pic and I'll tell you if you are hideous or not. :p No social skills? I'm not out-going, have about 3 good friends (the rest are my classmates, with whom I talk only in school) and I somehow don't attract girls. Really. I mean, they run away. Crappy job? I though you were at a high school?

If you think your like sucks and will suck in the future, then it will suck. If you hope that things will get better and you work to make that, well, then it will get better.

There are other options before going to see a professional,

Set yourself a few targets to try and get yourself out of that circle, such as joining a new society or something along those lines.

I have absolutely no idea about your health/fitness at all but something that always comes up when depression/giving up with life is mentioned is exercise. From first hand experience it can really help :

Some professionals will most likely recommend this first anyway, but obviously judge your own well being yourself before putting off going to see a doctor :)

I would get help or try to improve, but why bother? The psychologist I'd go to probably will treat doctor-patient confidentiality as a complete joke, so then I'd have people pretending to give a damn about me and almost certainly acting in "my best interest" by doing something horribly stupid. Especially with the current mental health system, which allows for suicidal people to be involuntarily held for 72hr in a mental health ward. Not only that, but even then I would still have a horrible overbite, bad acne, and pathetic social skills, so I'd still be in the exact same place as before, except horribly disappointed.

I would get help or try to improve, but why bother? The psychologist I'd go to probably will treat doctor-patient confidentiality as a complete joke, so then I'd have people pretending to give a damn about me and almost certainly acting in "my best interest" by doing something horribly stupid. Especially with the current mental health system, which allows for suicidal people to be involuntarily held for 72hr in a mental health ward. Not only that, but even then I would still have a horrible overbite, bad acne, and pathetic social skills, so I'd still be in the exact same place as before, except horribly disappointed.

Everything you've just mentioned is something you can change, or that will change over time. If you're not happy with your final height then sure feel a bit down you're not as tall as you wanted to be, that's out of your control (though cuban heels are an option :p ) but when it comes to things like acne, which will more than likely clear up during your 20 and social skills, which can be improved over time with confidence then the whole 'why bother' statement is you saying you're not bothered if these all stay the same, which makes absolutely no sense.

I've been in the 'FML why bother with anything' mindset a lot but I'm on the other side of that now, it can happen :)

We're all here for you if you need us anytime, just PM us.

So you're telling us your life sucks, you apparently don't like yourself etc. and then you say you're not bothered to even change something? Nice paradox.

Bad acne, overbite? Meh, acne will disappear and you can easily get dental braces (I had a big overbite too). Simple.

All you need now is to do something and cheer up. Go out and start jogging, to gym, change some habits. JUST DO SOMETHING.

As Mike said, we're here. ;)

As Appo said, go to the gym, you will feel a lot better because when you work out endorphins are released. Endorphins help you by lowering your deppresion, reducing stress. It will make you very happy and it will make you even happier after you see the results, like seeing your biceps growing and other things. Why need social skills to talk to girls when you have a six-pack? girlz luvz six-packz. Also your confidence will grow and confidence is very important.

Also forgot to mention: You need to be in full control of your own life, don't let ANYONE choose for you. It doesn't matter who he/she is , he/she doesn't have any right to choose what he/she thinks is best for you.

Tried working on my car again today but the tool I need still hasn't come. Decided to empty the sump and put the new oil filter in.

But yet again the spanner slipped and my arm went up into a small piece of metal on the subframe with the full force of my strength.. But this time I smashed the other side of the same wrist and now it's swollen like a balloon. Probably chipped that bone too like the other side.

I also banged my head on the numberplate and it cracked where the screw is so I'm gonna need a new one of those too when the cracks get worse.

the dude who bought our a6 separated himself from his wife

So he temporarily rented a flat with no garage

He drives his Audi A3 daily coz less fuel consumption

So everyday, during the whole week, the A6 just sits there

on the same parking spot, exposed to the sun all day, for one whole week

dirty

and it's just rotting there during the week..

he drove it a bit yesterday..

damn, when he bought it he polished it, took great care of it, looked like a new car, no scratches...now it's there all dirty, with no garage, just rotting, exposed to all atmospheric conditions..bird crap..

tis sad :(

It's not my car anymore but it makes me feel so sad to see it just sitting there abandoned, eager for a weekend drive :(

That car is so special to me.

bird crap isn't too good for the paint either i think.

Mellors here the weather is quite hot, hot enough to expand the rubbers around the windows if the car is sitting under the 30ºC sun for a whole week, car gathers dust too, vulnerable to scratches from other cars.

Apu we know the guy very well, he is both a party and business friend of my father.

We only know that he is separated from his wife because my dad called him asking if the car was broken down, as it has been sitting for over a week on the same spot.

The dude replied "I have no garage for it ehe" and his relationship had been getting worse and worse.

Seriously looking at the car "abandoned" there just hurts :(

Apu you understand me? :(

Also rassva, it's hard not to get bird crap on the car after a drive, they're everywhere (birds) :eek:

I think they play a game, to see who hits most cars.

I counted some days ago the average bird crap hit during a min (highway driving)

The result was, aruond 1 bird crap hitting the car each 7 seconds, averagely.

Our car's front bumper looked as if it had been sitting through a paintball battle, after 200km of highway driving.

Of course I understand you.

Bird poop is one of the worst things that can happen to your car's paint. It's very aggressive and it can lead to paint damage if you don't wipe it off after few days. Bugs are bad too. I sometimes think they love our BMW, the front fascia gets always bugged after driving on the highway or just after two weeks of driving it in the city.

Leaving a dirty black car in the sun is not good. I remember seeing cars that clearly have not been washed for months in Mallorca or Greece, people there seem to not take care of them.