We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Ferrari Four

Sponge

Large%20Image.jpg?p=110121_11:21

You can abandon your preconceived ideas about what a Ferrari should be: the new ‘Ferrari Four' or ‘FF' is set to replace the 612 Scaglietti as Ferrari's big V12 GT car - and it's got a few surprises in store.

Apart from the obvious shooting brake-style body - a cross between an estate and a coupe - the FF also gets four seats and four-wheel drive, a huge step for Ferrari.

The front is basically nicked from the current 458 Italia, but the aluminium spaceframe is entirely new and allows for a pretty useful 450 litres of bootspace, extendable to 800 litres with - wait for it - flip-down rear seats. In a Ferrari.

But the big news remains the all-wheel drive. Ferrari's ‘4RM' system is 50 per cent lighter than a conventional setup, mated to a beefed-up seven-speed dual-shift transmission already used in the California and 458 Italia.

And, interestingly, that seven-speed DCT ‘box has to contend with the might of a re-worked version of Ferrari's rather glorious 6.0-litre V12. Now a 6.2, this reworked Vee sits just behind the front axle and produces 660bhp and 504lb ft of torque. You might be interested to know that in the Four, this 6.2-litre returns 18mpg and emits 360g/km of CO2.

But you'll definitely be more interested in learning that the Four can accelerate from 0-62mph in 3.7 seconds and top 208mph; fast enough to destroy any lingering doubt you still have over that controversial shape.

I'm not sure on the shape personally. It, to me, looks like something that should wedge doors open.

Meh, can't say I'm excited for it. You buy a Ferrari for one reason, a Range Rover for the other. Sure Porsche have worked it but they have a different clientele and price point.

The one off Continental GT Shooting Brake works better imo.

I'm on the fence actually. I don't hate it yet, but I don't think it's very pretty either.

I've found myself liking supposedly "ugly" cars, so it didn't come as a shock that I didn't puke immediately.

I'm the same. When I saw the profile picture that Sponge posted I didn't like it at first, but the pictures Penfold posted has started to change my mind. :hmmm:

I also have a habit of liking cars that everyone else despises, and vice versa. xD

Haters_Gonna_Hate_07.jpg

I like it. Hell, I'll just say it - I love it. It has flaws (it doesn't need "muscles" behind the headlights, for example, and it could do with a real gated manual), and Mondial drivers will say it deviates from Ferrari's image, but that isn't even correct; Ferrari originally sold cars to fund their (or, rather, Enzo's) racing efforts. Plus, it's not an SUV and it's a shooting brake, which I always love.

I love it, whatever the haters say.

-Leadfoot

To me, this looks like a hot hatch with a Ferrari badge, engine, and I'm assuming price tag as well. This would make sense if it had four doors, to compete against the likes of the Rapide, Panamera, etc. but I don't see how this can compete against GT coupes. At this rate, now that Fiat is partnered up with Chrysler, we can expect a Ferrari minivan in the future. :cheeky:

I don't mind the looks of it, I just don't understand why Ferrari would create a hatchback to face off things like DB9's and Gran Turismos.

I like it! But really, what's the point? Who earns enough money to own a Ferrari but wants this? I saw the spy photos of it on Jalopnik, except it looked like a coupe with a black tent on the back. Ferrari just needs to change the front and the roof shape near the back, the way it drops down a lot (if you get what I mean) looks a bit weird.

I like it! But really, what's the point? Who earns enough money to own a Ferrari but wants this? I saw the spy photos of it on Jalopnik, except it looked like a coupe with a black tent on the back. Ferrari just needs to change the front and the roof shape near the back, the way it drops down a lot (if you get what I mean) looks a bit weird.

Are you suggesting a Lagonda-style "rear-angled" roof? Or a vertical hatch?

-Leadfoot