We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Ford GT concept introduced

CLR-GTR

Rumours recently indicated Ford would be showing a new Ford GT iteration on NAIAS, after the leaked floorplan for Ford's stand mentioned a "Phoenix" nicknamed car to be flanked by both the previous Ford GT as by a Ford GT40. And tadaa, they don't disappoint!

Special features of the new GT Concept are:

- twinturbo V6 EcoBoost in excess of 600 bhp (or 447 kW)

- dual-clutch 7-speed transaxle transmission

- better optimised design to reduce air drag and create more downforce

- upward-swinging doors

- carbon fiber cell structure

- automatically adjustable rear spoiler

- aluminium front and rear subframes

- carbon fiber body panels

- 20-inch wheels with special Michelin Pilot Super Sport Cup 2 tires

- Ford SYNC 3 infotainment

- fully digital and configurable instrument cluster

Production version will be introduced later this year and will go into production in 2016.

1142847158491484153.jpg

2074008277346788027.jpg

1619897228562424164.jpg

104569826457442994.jpg

Source: Ford GT breaks cover with 600+ bhp twin-turbo V6

Looks brilliant! Exhaust pipes relatively high off the ground, agressive looks. Not a fan of the interior though, way too empty/basic in looks, with quite a crowded steeringwheel. Perhaps the production version will look slightly different, we'll see.

DKayV7P.png

:lol:

This new GT lacks polishment, specially on the rear, it's all square and unfinished. They got nice themes to work, but it's really badly executed. Lacks refinament on the design part, lacks more thoughts, lacks polishing... For a prototype like that one, a real physical vehicle... that's not a good.

Milli's picture shows my thoughts!

I like it, in that I like there bringing it back. But I don't like the way it look's for starters...but I won't go into it.

I'm waiting to see how long it is until someone shoves a V8/Manual box in it from one of the bonkers Mustangs though! :nuts:

the interior is okay the steering wheel is off

THIS.

This is the main criticism I had of it too, the steering wheel looks god awful, like something you'd have found in a crappy toyota 10 years ago, not something you expect on a flagship American Sportscar.

I think these renders and the concept in detroit seem to be lacking detail, as most concepts do, but as with the new Jag F-Pace (awful name) I refuse to be fully won over until I see the production version.

With the tiny gap until the release date for this I know the production version won't be much different, it'll just have a bit more detail to the design i hope.

IMO, The front is absolutely beautiful. :drool: It's a great evolution of the 2005 Ford GT's design but...

The rear just kill everything ! :o Even the rear of the Ford GT90 Concept looks a lot better. (Apart from the Triangle Rear lights).

3.5 V6 EcoBoost ? Joke... No way ! That ruins the car and the pedigree of the GT... I know it's the same engine they use in Some Daytona Prototype in TUSSC and it wons the 2014 12 Hours of Sebring but Honestly Ford... You can't use an engine who doesn't represent the spirit of the GT. I'm sure Jacky Ickx or Jeremy Clarkson won't like it. I can even ear Ferrari laughing from here...

I'm really disappointed... The Ford GT is one of my favorite car of all time. As a child, I use to play Ford Racing 2 or Gran Turismo 4 and drive the Ford GT 2005 everytime ! The 2005 was a true successor of the GT40. :ill: :( :crying:

IMO, The front is absolutely beautiful. :drool: It's a great evolution of the 2005 Ford GT's design but...

The rear just kill everything ! :o Even the rear of the Ford GT90 Concept looks a lot better. (Apart from the Triangle Rear lights).

3.5 V6 EcoBoost ? Joke... No way ! That ruins the car and the pedigree of the GT... I know it's the same engine they use in Some Daytona Prototype in TUSSC and it wons the 2014 12 Hours of Sebring but Honestly Ford... You can't use an engine who doesn't represent the spirit of the GT. I'm sure Jacky Ickx or Jeremy Clarkson won't like it. I can even ear Ferrari laughing from here...

I'm really disappointed... The Ford GT is one of my favorite car of all time. As a child, I use to play Ford Racing 2 or Gran Turismo 4 and drive the Ford GT 2005 everytime ! The 2005 was a true successor of the GT40. :ill: :( :crying:

It's 2015, man.

The GT40 was fighting Ferraris back in the 60's. How could Ford fight them with yet another GT40?

The future is here, and the future is lightweight, turbocharged and fast. Not that I am super happy about certain things that are happening in the automotive industry, but it's what it is, man. And the GT serves a great purpose of being the flagship and the "oh look what we're capable of" vehicle. Hence the EcoBoost and two clutches.

There is a lot of European influence in this car and that is no bad thing but it looks like it could be a case of too many cooks spoil the broth in that you can see the LaFerrari first and foremost, then some 458, Huayra, Aventador and that last image showing the 3/4 angle is very F12berlinetta. Against the common opinion of here though I actually do like the rear, the later shot that is likened to a Pig from Angry Birds makes that part of the car look much more supercar-like and that deep airflow setup they have is more suited to an open-wheeler type car than a coupe, it makes me scratch my head thinking about how the handling would be with this thing when it's not going in a straight line.

And that interior is incredibly dull, it looks like so drab and uninviting, weird thing is it just needs some colour accents thrown about and it would be much much better imo, not to mention the wheel needs some sprucing up.

Decent take on an evolved GT though, better than what many other manufacturers come up with when they design the next version of the model line.

That is what i said, the car has nice themes, the exhaust being central, up high, the c pillar being a hole, for air flow... it just... lacks polishment. Looks like they had a lot of ideas, put them all there, but didn't give it much of thought on how to link all the ideas and make them look like 1.

Can you see what i mean?

Edit: It looks unfinished. Like GT5. :lol:

It looks... interesting, a bit like a cross between the LaFerrari and Asterion from the front. Although tbh, I think the original 2005 Ford GT looked far better. This a little OTT, although I know they can't really do the whole retro thing again. Otherwise it'd turn into a Mustang...

That is what i said, the car has nice themes, the exhaust being central, up high, the c pillar being a hole, for air flow... it just... lacks polishment. Looks like they had a lot of ideas, put them all there, but didn't give it much of thought on how to link all the ideas and make them look like 1.

Can you see what i mean?

Edit: It looks unfinished. Like GT5. :lol:

Definitely, they still have to 'sand down the rough edges'. They've literally just came up with all these ideas for the design, thrown them together and that's the concept.

It's 2015, man.

Yes it's 2015. But look Ferrari or Lamborghini, there are still producing V12 or V10. Same as Dodge SRT, still big 8.4 V10 or big V8s. Same for Chevy, big V8s... Aston Martin or Jag are still producing V8s even V12 for the Gaydon brand. There is even a V12 Vantage GT3 running and having loads of success.

I'm not against new technologies but I'm against the fact that Ford is not caring about the history that GT40 had in the past. The GT40 was born to beat Ferrari. The original idea was a mid engine sports car designed by Ford and Shelby who was light, fast, with a V8. Nothing else. And for me, It is very important to respect the past when Ford wants to call their new supercar "GT" with a V6... I just ask a V8, turbocharged or not, But only 2 cylinder who make the entire car.