We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

What Are You Thinking of Purchasing Next?

Ryzza5

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh trust me, if you have way too much power and no traction control(?) it's not that fun anymore and snow tires don't help crap at that point ;)

It's not fun when you don't know how to handle a RWD car in wet or snow conditions, yes.

Anyway, let me say it again: We've never had any problems on snow. Except once somewhere in Austrian Alps, when we had to put snow chains to get to the hotel up in the very steep hill.

Seriously, when you step on the gas in a corner, the car slides a bit to let you correct it and afterwards the DTC (traction control) and DSC (ESP) catch it by applying brakes and cutting off the power. Shame that BMW does not offer LSD for non-M cars anymore, it would be even better.

I'm not saying that xDrive or any other AWD system are pointless, no, but you also can't rely on those electronically-controlled shiznits and think that they will pull you through everything in every conditions and do everything you want it to do. What I'm saying is that you CAN have fun on snow with RWD and it is not a major PITA to use it all year round like other people with no experience with RWD vehicles say. Everyone prefers different drivetrain layouts, but one simply should not say that system xxx is crap in xxx conditions, etc..

Let me rephrase: Have fun watching my mom's CRV's taillights disappear to the horizon :cheeky:

Oh great, I don't like CR-V's so I would be happy not to see it. :cheeky:

Tom, calm yourself, I wasn't referring to your BMWs, I'm sure you'll drive them perfectly fine but I just can't imagine having too much fun around here in a Mustang Cobra without any TC whatsoever. Even the really underpowered A3 is struggling to get anywhere here without AWD (what do you know, it doesn't have any TC to 'do the magic'). My bro's W124 is indeed a really fun car in the snow because of the RWD but when I actually have to go somewhere, of our cars I prefer the CRV because it's just so much easier to drive (especially taking off at intersections, no wheelspin thanks to the AWD). There's a fine line where the constant sliding gets annoying, you notice that when you actually want to get somewhere. And then there's the fine line when the snow and ice makes the conditions too bad, after all, we may have a tad more snow here during the winters ;)

Back to topic people! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...