We promise no intrusive ads, Please help keep the community alive
Consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker / add to whitelist / purchasing VIP.

Eden Games divestiture - UP: Eden Gone... no back ...mobile TEST DRIVE [was] in development? AAAAH!!

Eudemon

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Eden team were to jump on Kickstarter and ask for funding for a TDU type game how many here would support it? I honestly doubt many would. The damage has been done and someone else has to take over the reigns of this genre. Still makes me annoyed how they squandered and wasted the potential of the TDU sequel so badly.

If the Eden team were to jump on Kickstarter and ask for funding for a TDU type game how many here would support it? I honestly doubt many would. The damage has been done and someone else has to take over the reigns of this genre. Still makes me annoyed how they squandered and wasted the potential of the TDU sequel so badly.

Depends which Eden you're talking about :lol: The Eden that made one of the best driving games (ever), or the Eden that ruined the series for most people? (albeit not solely to blame)

The TDU1 team is IT now so that's who I'm supporting, though I do have sympathy for the TDU2 team.

Yeah a good number of the original TDUteam are at and formed Ivory-Tower. It depends though if Ubisoft are pulling some strings behind their work as they essentially have to do what those paying to create the title tell them. Ubisoft Reflections (Driver San Francisco) appear to have some people working with Ivory and even though I liked DSF's handling, I thought the vehicles felt too light, but I suppose the good of that, is that it was the only real issue I had so that could be a good thing!

Yeah a good number of the original TDUteam are and formed Ivory-Tower. It depends though if Ubisoft are pulling some strings behind their work as they essentially have to do what those paying to create the title tell them.

Yeah, unfortunately that's true.. here's hoping their input is either minimal or positive.

Well the good thing is Ubisoft appear to be one of the publishers still willing to take risks and try new things along with the typical franchises of course. I mean if Dance Central/Just Dance brings in the money for them to do these things then that's the smart way to do things.

Well the good thing is Ubisoft appear to be one of the publishers still willing to take risks and try new things along with the typical franchises of course.

In this case a calculated "risk" i think. These guys have proven themselves with some cool titles. And UbiSoft was not involved right from the start. So any "interference" on game dynamics will probably be minimized. Atari dumbed TDU2 down, that part is clear to me. I don't think this team at Ivory Tower will let that happen. After all, they are still independent and use UbiSoft for the publishing.

One thing i do hope they will incorporate is the club or team racing. I really enjoy doing that in TDU2. Still a few times a week we take on other teams and it is much more fun than individual racing. But most important are the driving dynamics. We'll see what happens at the E3.:cool:

I hope TDU 3 will be open world again. i want to improve driving and other things in TDU but i don't want to change it.

TDU is great thing if i had money i would buy this product :))))

let's hope ubi or some other great publishers will buy this product

Eden Games closed

Well, this is slightly disappointing:

"Eden Games, developer of Alone in the Dark and Test Drive Unlimited, is no more.

The Lyon-based studio was placed into a state of liquidation by local authorities at the end of January 2013, our colleagues at Eurogamer France understand, with judicial agent RB Sabourin appointed as liquidator.

Eden's owner Atari announced in May 2012 that the developer was "in the process of being disposed of", although Eurogamer was subsequently told us that Eden had "not closed" (yet). The studio was being prepared for "divestment", Atari said, suggesting a sale of the business or closure was imminent.

The majority of Eden Games' staff were fired in the summer of 2011, prompting the rest of the studio to go on strike. Some have since banded together at new outfit Blossom Minds.

Eden's final game was Test Drive Unlimited 2, released in 2011. "Unsteady but passionate and ambitious, TDU2 is fantastic escapism," Eurogamer's Oli Welsh wrote in our 7/10 review. "It's just a shame it sometimes needs to escape from itself.""

Source: Test Drive Unlimited dev Eden Games closed, company in liquidation Eurogamer.net

[threads merged]

Took them long enough to notice, I thought I was late considering they posted they were shut as of the start of March.

Yep, Atari kept it all quiet - I guess it's part of their style. Too bad they're not the ones in the coffin - would be about freakin' time.

For those interested: a good friend of mine works together with an ex-Eden programmer. He said most of the talented/better programmers left Eden during or just after TDU1 development. That explains pretty well the tragedy that followed ;)

That IS Atari's style. And yeah it's been known that a number of the talented team behind TDU did leave and go elsewhere, albeit TDU1 wasn't a brilliant handling game in itself, I'm sure they know where they went wrong and what people wanted to see improved. :)

• 3 months later...